Data Uploading Mechanism for Internet of Things with Energy Harvesting
To facilitate uploading of sensing data with a tremendous and still growing number of devices in Internet of Things (IoT), is one of the most pressing tasks today. It is not sensible to equip each IoT device with cellular or other wide range access technologies, thus the network access management and sensing data fusion are necessary to solve the paradox of spectrum drain and endless user experience. In this framework, we considered a practical scenario where exist heterogeneous IoT devices with energy harvesting and limited short range access technologies, e.g. WiFi, BLE4.0, and their data can be uploaded through an access point (AP) in given area. The AP needs to schedule the data uploading of heterogeneous IoT devices, and conservatively satisfy the quality of experience (QoE) requirements, e.g. delay, sensing interval, data rate. First, we modeled the energy harvesting and sensing data of IoT devices by Markov chain and probability transfer matrix, and derived the expression of urgency function which can clearly distinguish the urgency of data transmission among devices. Secondly, an auction-based IoT devices data uploading mechanism is proposed, which satisfies the expected economic robustness with low communication overhead. Finally, we performed extensive simulations to verify the proposed data uploading scheme and algorithm. The simulation results indicate that the proposed scheme works well.
The authors would like to thank the support from the Natural Science Foundation of China (61602062, 61702056), Educational Commission of JiangSu Province (17KJB520001), the Natural Science Foundation of JiangSu Province (BK20160410), the Provincial Key Laboratory for Computer Information Processing Technology, Soochow University (KJS1521).
- 3.Liang, Y., Cai, Z., Yu, J., Han, Q., Li, Y.: Deep learning based inference of private information using embedded sensors in smart devices. IEEE Netw. Mag. (2018)Google Scholar
- 4.Zheng, X., Cai, Z., Li, Y.: Data linkage in smart IoT systems: a consideration from privacy perspective. IEEE Commun. Mag. (2018)Google Scholar
- 5.Cai, Z., Zheng, X.: A private and efficient mechanism for data uploading in smart cyber-physical systems. Trans. Netw. Sci. Eng. (TNSE) (2018)Google Scholar
- 7.Chen, Q., Gao, H., Cai, Z., Cheng, L., Li, J.: Energy-collision aware data aggregation scheduling for energy harvesting sensor networks. In: IEEE INFOCOM, Las Vegas, Nevada (2018)Google Scholar
- 8.Lauridsen, M., Kovacs, I.Z., Mogensen, P., Sorensen, M., Holst, S.: Coverage and capacity analysis of LTE-M and NB-IoT in a rural area. In: IEEE 84th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC-Fall), Montreal, QC (2016)Google Scholar
- 9.Niyato, D., Kim, D.I., Wang, P., Song, L.: A novel caching mechanism for Internet of Things (IoT) sensing service with energy harvesting. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), Kuala Lumpur (2016)Google Scholar
- 10.Boualouache, A.E., Nouali, O., Moussaoui, S., Derder, A.: A BLE-based data collection system for IoT. In: 2015 First International Conference on New Technologies of Information and Communication (NTIC), Mila (2015)Google Scholar
- 11.Chan, T.Y., Ren, Y., Tseng, Y.C., Chen, J.C.: eHint: an efficient protocol for uploading small-size IoT data. In: IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference. (WCNC), San Francisco, CA (2017)Google Scholar