Deep Learning for Big Data Time Series Forecasting Applied to Solar Power
- 821 Downloads
Accurate solar energy prediction is required for the integration of solar power into the electricity grid, to ensure reliable electricity supply, while reducing pollution. In this paper we propose a new approach based on deep learning for the task of solar photovoltaic power forecasting for the next day. We firstly evaluate the performance of the proposed algorithm using Australian solar photovoltaic data for two years. Next, we compare its performance with two other advanced methods for forecasting recently published in the literature. In particular, a forecasting algorithm based on similarity of sequences of patterns and a neural network as a reference method for solar power forecasting. Finally, the suitability of all methods to deal with big data time series is analyzed by means of a scalability study, showing the deep learning promising results for accurate solar power forecasting.
KeywordsDeep learning Big data Solar power Time series forecasting
The authors would like to thank the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness and Junta de Andalucía for the support under projects TIN2014-55894-C2-R and P12-TIC-1728, respectively.
- 1.Climate Commission. The critical decade: Australia’s future - solar energy (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Chu, Y., Urquhart, B., Gohari, S.M.I., Pedro, H.T.C., Kleissl, J., Coimbra, C.F.M.: Short-term reforecasting of power output from a 48 mwe solar pv plant. Solar. Energ. 112, 68–77 (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Solar Power Europe. Global market outlook for solar power/2016–2020 (2016)Google Scholar
- 8.Koprinska, I., Rana, M., Troncoso, A., Martínez-Álvarez, F.: Combining pattern sequence similarity with neural networks forforecasting electricity demand time series. In: Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 1–8 (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Oliveira, M., Torgo, L.: Ensembles for time series forecasting. In: Proceedings of the Sixth Asian Conference on Machine Learning, pp. 360–370 (2015)Google Scholar
- 16.Wang, Z., Koprinska, I.: Solar power prediction with data source weighted nearest neighbors. In: Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 1411–1418 (2017)Google Scholar
- 17.Wang, Z., Koprinska, I., Rana, M.: Solar power prediction using weather type pair patterns. In: Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 4259–4266 (2017)Google Scholar