Here is what an independent political party can accomplish: it can levy higher inheritance taxes, progressive taxation on all income, a wealth tax. It can tax corporations where their profits are made, avoiding tax havens. It can let banks fail and then nationalize them and make them whole again. It can stop guaranteeing risky assets like derivatives. It can deny banks access to pension funds. It can rebuild the firewall between investment and commercial banks. It can bring back usury laws. It can democratize corporations by putting workers on the boards of directors; embrace universal single-payer healthcare; deny drug companies the right to patent life or indefinite patents. It can establish sovereign wealth funds that can be used for the benefit of entire nations and establish a basic income for all citizens, a minimum that would be paid from birth.
- Ackerman, Bruce, and Anne Alstott. The Stake-Holder Society. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1999.Google Scholar
- Atkinson, Anthony B. Inequality: What Can Be Done? Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2015. Google Scholar
- Blyth, Mark, and Eric Lonergan. “Print Less but Transfer More.” Foreign Affairs, September–October 2014. Online at https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/united-states/2014-08-11/print-less-transfer-more.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. Inflation-Adjusted Total Labor Costs Per Hour in Dollars. Chart 1.2: International Hourly Compensation Costs for Production Workers in Manufacturing. Washington, DC: Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2011. Online at http://www.bls.gov/fls/pw/ichcc_pwmfg1_2.txt.
- Cox, Jeff. “Fed Economist: ‘No Evidence That QE Works’ as Central Bank Starts Unwinding Program.” CNBC, September 19, 2017. https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/19/fed-economist-no-evidence-qe-works-as-balance-sheet-unwind-starts.html.
- The Economist. “Norwegian Blues.” October 10, 2015. Online at https://www.economist.com/news/business/21672206-now-easy-times-are-over-norway-must-rediscover-its-viking-spirit-norwegian-blues.
- England, Charlotte. “Indian Government Survey Says Universal Basic Income Could Combat Poverty.” The Independent, January 31, 2017.Google Scholar
- Foroohar, Rana. Maker and Takers: How Wall Street Destroyed Main Street. New York: Crown Business, 2017.Google Scholar
- Geoghegan, Thomas. “Consider the Germans’ Codetermination and Works Councils.” Harper’s Magazine, March 2012. Online at https://coto2.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/consider-the-germans-co-determination-and-works-councils/.
- Geoghegan, Thomas. Only One Thing Can Save Us: Why America Needs a New Kind of Labor Movement. New York: The New Press, 2014.Google Scholar
- Greenhouse, Steven. “The Challenge of Creating Good Jobs.” New York Times, September 7, 2011.Google Scholar
- Keyssar, Alexander. “The Real Grand Bargain, Coming Undone.” Washington Post, August 21, 2011.Google Scholar
- Krastev, Ivan. Democracy Disrupted: The Politics of Global Protest. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2014.Google Scholar
- Le Grand, Julian, and David Nissan. A Capital Idea: Start-Up Grants for Young People. London: Fabian Society, 2000.Google Scholar
- Norris, Floyd. “China Trade Numbers Bear Watching, Up or Down.” New York Times, September 16, 2011.Google Scholar
- O’Connor, Sarah. “UK Companies Look for Loopholes Around Living Wage.” Financial Times, March 30, 2016.Google Scholar
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. Economic Surveys: United States 2012. Paris: OECD, 2012. Online at http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/economics/oecd-economic-surveys-united-states-2012_eco_surveys-usa-2012-en.
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. “Private Consumption Deflators.” Economic Outlook 2011, no. 1. Paris: OECD, December 2011. At https://doi.org/10.1787/eco_outlook-v2011-1-en.
- Paine, Thomas. Agrarian Justice. 2nd ed. London: J. Adlard, 1797.Google Scholar
- Sandford, Cedric. Economics of Public Finance. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1969.Google Scholar
- Schafer, Daniel. “Keeping the Lights On.” Financial Times, November 10, 2009.Google Scholar
- Skapinker, Michael. “How to Run a School-Business Partnership.” Financial Times, December 3, 2007.Google Scholar
- Standing, Guy. Basic Income: A Guide for the Open-Minded. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2017.Google Scholar
- Standing, Guy. The Corruption of Capitalism: Why Rentiers Thrive and Work Does Not Pay. London: Biteback Publishing, 2016.Google Scholar
- Sutter, John. “The Argument for a Basic Income.” CNN, March 9, 2015, at http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/01/opinion/sutter-basic-income/index.html.
- Tyler, George R. What Went Wrong: How the 1% Hijacked the American Middle Class … and What Other Countries Got Right. Dallas, TX: Benbella Books, Inc., 2013.Google Scholar
- Wedmore, Caroline. Funding the Future, How Sovereign Wealth Funds Benefit Future Generations. London: Intergenerational Foundation, 2013. Online at http://www.if.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/A-British-Sovereign-Wealth-Fund.pdf.