Workload Characterization and Evolutionary Analyses of Tianhe-1A Supercomputer
Currently, supercomputer systems face a variety of application challenges, including high-throughput, data-intensive, and stream-processing applications. At the same time, there is more challenge to improve user satisfaction at the supercomputers such as Tianhe-1A, Tianhe-2 and TaihuLight, because of the commercial service model. It is important to understand HPC workloads and their evolution to facilitate informed future research and improve user satisfaction.
In this paper, we present a methodology to characterize workloads on the commercial supercomputer (users need to pay), at a particular period and its evolution over time. We apply this method to the workloads of Tianhe-1A at the National Supercomputer Center in Tianjin. This paper presents the concept of quota-constrained waiting time for the first time, which has significance for optimizing scheduling and enhancing user satisfaction on the commercial supercomputer.
KeywordsHPC Workload Quota-constrained Scheduling
- 4.Di, S., et al.: Characterization and comparison of cloud versus grid workloads. In: IEEE International Conference on CLUSTER Computing (CLUSTER) (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Rodrigo, G.P., et al.: HPC system lifetime story: workload characterization and evolutionary analyses on NERSC systems. In: International Symposium on High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing (HPDC) (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Schlagkamp, S., et al.: Consecutive job submission behavior at mira supercomputer. In: International Symposium on High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing (HPDC) (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.Rodrigo, G.P., et al.: Towards understanding job heterogeneity in HPC: a NERSC case study. In: IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.Luu, H., et al.: A multiplatform study of I/O behavior on petascale supercomputers. In: International Symposium on High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing (HPDC) (2015)Google Scholar
- 12.Feitelson, D.: Parallel workloads archive http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/labs/parallel/workload. Accessed 11 Feb 2018