Message-Locked Encryption with File Update
Message-locked encryption (MLE) (formalized by Bellare et al. ) is an important cryptographic primitive that supports deduplication in the cloud. Updatable block-level message-locked encryption (UMLE) (formalized by Zhao and Chow ) adds the update functionality to the MLE. In this paper, we formalize and extensively study a new cryptographic primitive file-updatable message-locked encryption (FMLE). FMLE can be viewed as a generalization of the UMLE, in the sense that unlike the latter, the former does not require the existence of BL-MLE (block-level message-locked encryption). FMLE allows more flexibility and efficient methods for updating the ciphertext and tag.
Our second contribution is the design of two efficient FMLE constructions, namely, RevD-1 and RevD-2, whose design principles are inspired from the very unique reverse decryption functionality of the FP hash function (designed by Paul et al. ) and the APE authenticated encryption (designed by Andreeva et al. ). With respect to UMLE – which provides so far the most efficient update function – RevD-1 and RevD-2 reduce the total update time by at least 50%, on average. Additionally, our constructions are storage efficient. We also give extensive comparison between our and the existing constructions.
- 2.Andreeva, E., Bilgin, B., Bogdanov, A., Luykx, A., Mennink, B., Mouha, N., Yasuda, K.: APE: authenticated permutation-based encryption for lightweight cryptography. In: Cid, C., Rechberger, C. (eds.) FSE 2014. LNCS, vol. 8540, pp. 168–186. Springer, Heidelberg (2015). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-662-46706-0_9CrossRefMATHGoogle Scholar
- 4.Bellare, M., Keelveedhi, S., Ristenpart, T.: DupLESS: server-aided encryption for deduplicated storage. In: King, S. (ed.) USENIX 2013, pp. 179–194 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Douceur, J.R., Adya, A., Bolosky, W.J., Simon, D., Theimer, M.: Reclaiming space from duplicate files in a serverless distributed file system. In: ICDCS 2002, pp. 617–624 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICDCS.2002.1022312
- 9.Huang, K., Zhang, X., Wang, X.: Block-level message-locked encryption with polynomial commitment for IoT data. J. Inf. Sci. Eng. (JISE), 33(4), 891–905 (2017). http://jise.iis.sinica.edu.tw/JISESearch/pages/View/PaperView.jsf?keyId=157_2047
- 13.Zhao, Y., Chow, S.S.M.: Updatable block-level message-locked encryption. In: Karri, R., Sinanoglu, O., Sadeghi, A., Yi, X. (eds.) Proceedings of the 2017 ACM on Asia Conference on Computer and Communications Security, AsiaCCS 2017, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, 2–6 April 2017, pp. 449–460. ACM (2017). https://doi.org/10.1145/3052973.3053012