Energy-Aware Production Scheduling with Power-Saving Modes
- 2.1k Downloads
This study addresses optimization of production processes where machines have high energy consumption. One efficient way to reduce the energy expenses in production is to turn a machine off when it is not being used or switch it into an energy-saving mode. If the production has several machines and production demand that varies in time, the energy saving can be substantial; the cost reduction can be achieved by an appropriate production schedule that could control the switching between the energy modes with respect to the required production volume. Therefore, inspired by real production processes of glass tempering and steel hardening, this paper addresses the scheduling of jobs with release times and deadlines on parallel machines. The objective is to find a schedule of the jobs and a switching between the power modes of the machines so that the total energy consumption is minimized. Moreover, to further generalize the scheduling problem to other production processes, we assume that the processing time of the jobs is mode-dependent, i.e., the processing time of a job depends on the mode in which a machine is operating. The study provides an efficient Branch-and-Price algorithm and compares two approaches (based on Integer Linear Programming and Constraint Programming) for solving the subproblem.
KeywordsProduction scheduling Energy Branch-and-Price Integer Linear Programming Constraint Programming
The work in this paper was supported by the Technology Agency of the Czech Republic under the Centre for Applied Cybernetics TE01020197, and partially by the Charles University, project GA UK No. 158216.
- 4.Ángel González, M., Oddi, A., Rasconi, R.: Multi-objective optimization in a job shop with energy costs through hybrid evolutionary techniques (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.Selmair, M., Claus, T., Trost, M., Bley, A., Herrmann, F.: Job shop scheduling with flexible energy prices. In: European Conference for Modelling and Simulation (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.Kong, F., Wang, Y., Deng, Q., Yi, W.: Minimizing multi-resource energy for real-time systems with discrete operation modes. In: 2010 22nd Euromicro Conference on Real-Time Systems, pp. 113–122, July 2010Google Scholar
- 12.Laborie, P., Rogerie, J., Shaw, P., Vilím, P.: Reasoning with conditional time-intervals. Part II: an algebraical model for resources. In: FLAIRS conference, pp. 201–206 (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Václavík, R., Novák, A., Šůcha, P., Hanzálek, Z.: Accelerating the branch-and-price algorithm using machine learning. Eur. J. Oper. Res. (2017). under reviewGoogle Scholar