Is Bidirectionality Important?
- 478 Downloads
Bidirectional transformations maintain consistency between information sources, such as different models of the same software system. In certain settings this is undeniably convenient – but is it important? I will argue that developing our ability to engineer dependable bidirectional transformations is likely to be crucial to our ability to meet the demand for software in coming decades. I will discuss some of the work that has been done so far, including some I’ve had a hand in, and what challenges remain.
- 1.Abou-Saleh, F., Cheney, J., Gibbons, J., McKinna, J., Stevens, P.: Notions of bidirectional computation and entangled state monads. In: Hinze, R., Voigtländer, J. (eds.) MPC 2015. LNCS, vol. 9129, pp. 187–214. Springer, Cham (2015). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-19797-5_9CrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- 2.Abou-Saleh, F., Cheney, J., Gibbons, J., McKinna, J., Stevens, P.: Introduction to bidirectional transformations. In: Gibbons and Stevens , pp. 1–28 (2018)Google Scholar
- 3.Beck, K.: Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change. Addison-Wesley Longman Publishing Co., Inc., Boston (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Betteridge, I.: Techcrunch: irresponsible journalism. Technovia.co.uk, February 2009. Accessed via  18 Apr 2018
- 6.Brocklehurst, S.: Going off the rails: the Edinburgh trams saga. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-27159614
- 7.Cheney, J., Gibbons, J., McKinna, J., Stevens, P.: On principles of least change and least surprise for bidirectional transformations. J. Object Technol. 16(1), Article no. 3, 1–31 (2017)Google Scholar
- 10.Johnson, M., Rosebrugh, R.: Cospans and symmetric lenses. In: Proceedings of the 7th International Workshop on Bidirectional Transformations. ACM (2018)Google Scholar
- 11.Petricek, T.: What we talk about when we talk about monads. Art Sci. Eng. Program. 2(3), Article no. 12 (2018)Google Scholar
- 12.Shieber, S.M.: Is this article consistent with Hinchliffe’s rule? Ann. Improbable Res. 21(3), 18–19 (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.Stevens, P.: Towards sound, optimal, and flexible building from megamodels. Talk at Bx 2018 (paper in preparation)Google Scholar
- 14.Stevens, P.: Bidirectional transformations in the large. In: 2017 ACM/IEEE 20th International Conference on Model Driven Engineering Languages and Systems (MODELS), pp. 1–11. IEEE (2017)Google Scholar
- 15.Wikipedia contributors. Betteridge’s law of headlines—Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (2018). Accessed 18 April 2018Google Scholar