Mono-modal Medical Image Registration with Coral Reef Optimization
- 1.6k Downloads
Image registration (IR) involves the transformation of different sets of image data having a shared content into a common coordinate system. To achieve this goal, the search for the optimal correspondence is usually treated as an optimization problem. The limitations of traditional IR methods have boomed the application of metaheuristic-based approaches to solve the problem while improving the performance. In this contribution, we consider a recent bio-inspired method: the Coral Reef Optimization Algorithm (CRO). This novel algorithm simulates the natural phenomena underlying a coral reef. We adapt the algorithm following two different approaches: feature-based and intensity-based designs and perform a thorough experimental study in a medical IR problem considering similarity transformations. The results show that CRO overcome the state-of-the-art results in terms of robustness, accuracy, and efficiency considering both approaches.
KeywordsCoral Reefs Optimization Intensity-based Approach Median Squared Error (MedSE) Feature-based Methods Restart Mechanism
This work has been partially supported by the projects TIN2015-67661-P, including European Regional Development Funds (ERDF), from the Spanish Ministery of Economy, and TIN2014-54583-C2-2-R from the Spanish Ministerial Commission of Science and Technology (MICYT).
- 1.Bermejo, E., Chica, M., Salcedo-Sanz, S., Cordon, O.: Coral reef optimization for intensity-based medical image registration. In: IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, CEC 2017, Proceedings, pp. 533–540. IEEE (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.Goshtasby, A.A.: 2-D and 3-D Image Registration. Wiley Interscience, Hoboken (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Monga, O., Benayoun, S., Faugeras, O.: From partial derivatives of 3-D density images to ridge lines. In: Proceedings 1992 IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, vol. 1808, pp. 354–359. IEEE, Champaign (1992)Google Scholar
- 11.Salcedo-Sanz, S., Del Ser, J., Landa-Torres, I., Gil-López, S., Portilla-Figueras, J.A.: The coral reefs optimization algorithm: a novel metaheuristic for efficiently solving optimization problems. Sci. World J. 2014, 1–15 (2014)Google Scholar
- 13.Takahashi, M., Kita, H.: A crossover operator using independent component analysis for real-coded genetic algorithms. In: Proceedings of the 2001 Congress on Evolutionary Computation (IEEE Cat. No.01TH8546), vol. 1, pp. 643–649 (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Valsecchi, A., Damas, S., Santamaria, J., Marrakchi-Kacem, L.: Genetic algorithms for voxel-based medical image registration. In: 2013 Fourth International Workshop on Computational Intelligence in Medical Imaging (CIMI), pp. 22–29, Aprril 2013Google Scholar