Unwanted but Inevitable: Russia’s Deepening Partnership with China Post-Ukraine
This chapter highlights the impact on Sino-Russian partnership of the conflict in Ukraine and the consequent crisis in Russia’s relations with the United States and Europe. With no prospect of a return to ‘business as usual’ with the West, Moscow has gravitated toward Beijing—and far more quickly and comprehensively than anyone anticipated. And although Russia has become the junior partner in a relationship characterized by ‘asymmetric interdependence’, it now recognizes this as both unavoidable and manageable. The author identifies three structural and fundamental factors explaining the converging trend in the Sino-Russian relationship, and why Moscow increasingly views Beijing as an important partner. These three factors are the importance of stability on Russia’s eastern flank, economic compatibility, and developments in the international system.
KeywordsMoscow Kremlin China strategy China threat Sinophobia Asia-Pacific Border Stability Economic cooperation FDI UN Ukraine
- Azar, Ilya. 2010. Nagleet Vostok: Rossija uvidela v Kitaje konkurenta na rinke vooruzheniy [The East is Getting Brazen: Russia Sees China as a Competitor in Arms Market]. Gazeta.ru, July 8. https://www.gazeta.ru/politics/2010/07/08_a_3396043.shtml.
- Gabuev, Alexander. 2014. Gosudarstvo ushlo iz kitaistiki [The State Has Abandoned Sinology]. Kommersant-Vlast (41), October 20. https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/2593673.
- Gabuev, Alexander. 2016. China’s Pivot to Putin’s Friends. Foreign Policy, June 25. http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/06/25/chinas-pivot-to-putin-friends-xi-russia-gazprom-timchenko-sinopec/.
- International Trade Centre. 2018. Bilateral Trade Between Russian Federation and China. TradeMap. https://www.trademap.org/Bilateral_TS.aspx?nvpm=1|643||156||TOTAL|||2|1|1|2|2|1|1|1|1. Accessed 31 Jan 2018.
- Kashin, Vasily. 2012. Rossiya v poiskah ravnovesiya [Russia in Search of Balance]. Vedomosti, May 11, 2012. https://www.vedomosti.ru/opinion/articles/2012/05/11/rossiya_v_poiskah_ravnovesiya.
- Kashin, Vasily. 2017. Vooruzhennaya druzhba: kak Rossija I Kitaj torgujut oruzhiem [Armed Friendship: How Russia and China Trade in Weaponry]. Carnegie Moscow Center, November 2. https://carnegie.ru/2017/11/02/ru-pub-74601.
- Miller, Alexey. 2014. Miller’s Report at “Sochi-2014” International Forum. Gazprom. http://www.gazprom.ru/press/news/miller-journal/2014/201583/. Accessed 31 Jan 2018.
- Presidential Executive Office of Russia. 2010. Excerpts from Transcript of Meeting on the Far East’s Socioeconomic Development and Cooperation with Asia-Pacific Region Countries, July 2. http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/transcripts/8234.