The Indispensable Partner: Russia in China’s Grand Strategy
In this chapter, the authors argue that while China-Russia ties have remained more pragmatic than sentimental, the relationship has improved significantly in recent years, and particularly under the Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping administrations. Russia is now also playing a more significant role in China’s grand international strategy. Despite lingering mutual mistrust and other challenges, China and Russia have increasingly positive attitudes towards each other. Extensive mechanisms of cooperation have also been established between the two countries in the areas of security, trade, energy, and culture. These developments look poised to pave the way for a genuine strategic partnership between China and Russia that is based on endogenous factors.
KeywordsGrand strategy China Dream Beijing Belt and Road Initiative BRICS International order Multilateral cooperation Trade Energy Russian Far East PLA US hegemony
- China National Tourism Administration. 2011. 2011 nian 1-12 yue fen lai hua lv you ru jing ren shu [Data on Foreign Tourists in China During Jan–Dec 2011]. Available at http://www.cnta.gov.cn/Zwgk/lysj/201506/t20150610_18706.shtml.
- Cui, Weihong. 2014. zhong e ou zai zhongya de nengyuan jing he guanxi [Competition and Cooperation Among China, Russia, and Europe in Central Asia]. guoji guanxi yanjiu [International Relations Studies] 2: 64–73.Google Scholar
- Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in Moscow. 2010. The Joint Statement of the Russian Federation and the Republic of China About a More Intensive Multilateral Cooperation, Partnership, and Strategic Coordination Between Russia and China, Beijing, September 28. Available at http://ru.china-embassy.org/rus/zgxw/t757139.htm.
- Fu, Ying. 2016. How China Sees Russia: Beijing and Moscow Are Close, but Not Allies. Foreign Affairs 95 (Jan/Feb): 96–105.Google Scholar
- Goldstein, Avery. 2001. The Diplomatic Face of China’s Grand Strategy: A Rising Power’s Emerging Choice. The China Quarterly 168 (December): 835–864.Google Scholar
- Goldstein, Avery. 2005. Rising to the Challenge: China’s Grand Strategy and International Security. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Guo, Qiong. 2014. xin xingshi xia zhong e jiaqiang zai zhongya hezuo de liyi fenxi [An Analysis on the Interests of Sino-Russia Enhancing Cooperation in Central Asia in the New Context]. ya fei zongheng [Asian and African Affairs] 2: 73–82.Google Scholar
- Herszenhorn, David M., and Chris Buckley. 2013. China’s New Leader, Visiting Russia, Promotes Nation’s Economic and Military Ties. The New York Times, March 22. Available at http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/23/world/asia/xi-jinping-visits-russia-on-first-trip-abroad.html?mcubz=0.
- Lin, Boqiang. 2014. shijie nengyuan xin geju xia de zhong e hezuo [Sino-Russian Cooperation in the New World Energy Structure]. shanghai zhengquan bao [Shanghai Security News], July 3.Google Scholar
- Liu, Yupeng. 2014. e mei: zhong e jiu chushou su-35 dacheng yizhi [Russian Media: China and Russia Agree on Su-35 Fighters Sale]. zhongguo guofang bao [China Defense News], June 3.Google Scholar
- Lo, Bobo. 2008. Axis of Convenience: Moscow, Beijing and the New Geopolitics. London and Washington, DC: Chatham House and Brookings Institution Press.Google Scholar
- Lo, Bobo. 2017. A Wary Embrace: What the China–Russia Relationship Means for the World. Sydney and Melbourne: Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- Ma, Fengshu. 2009. zhongya diqu anquan yu zhong e zhanlue xiezuo [Regional Security in Central Asia and Sino-Russian Strategic Collaboration]. dangdai shijie shehuizhuyi weinti [Issues of Contemporary World Socialism] 3: 48–58.Google Scholar
- Meick, Ethan. 2017. China–Russia Military-to-Military Relations: Moving Towards a Higher Level of Cooperation. U.S.–China Economic and Security Review Commission, Staff Research Report, March 20.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China. China and Russia: Partnership of Strategic Coordination. Available at http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/ziliao_665539/3602_665543/3604_665547/t18028.shtml.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China. 2014. Xi Jinping Holds Talks with President Vladimir Putin of Russia, Stressing to Expand and Deepen Practical Cooperation, Promoting China–Russia Comprehensive Strategic Partnership of Coordination to Higher Level, May 20. Available at http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/topics_665678/yzxhxzyxrcshydscfh/t1158516.shtml.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russia Federation. 2016. The Declaration of the Russian Federation and the People’s Republic of China on the Promotion of International Law, June 25. Available at http://www.mid.ru/en_GB/foreign_policy/news/-/asset_publisher/cKNonkJE02Bw/content/id/2331698.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China. 2017. Xi Jinping Holds Talks with President Vladimir Putin of Russia: The Two Heads of States Agree to Make Joint Efforts to Continuously Deepen China–Russia Comprehensive Strategic Partnership of Coordination, July 4. Available at http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/zxxx_662805/t1475872.shtml.
- Pillsbury, Michael. 2015. The Hundred-Year Marathon: China’s Secret Strategy to Replace America as the Global Superpower. New York: Henry Holt.Google Scholar
- Qing, Huang, and Zhang Ping. 2013. zhong e guanxi ershi nian: wenbu fazhan de zhanlue xiezuo [Twenty Years of Sino-Russian Relations: The Steady Growth of Strategic Collaboration]. eluosi xuekan [Journal of Russian Studies] 15 (3): 25–33.Google Scholar
- Qu, Jing. 2014. shou jie zhong e bolanhui ji di ershiwu jie “ha qia hui” luomu [The First Sino-Russian Expo and the 25th Harbin Trade Fair Concludes]. heilongjiang ribao [Heilongjiang Daily], July 5.Google Scholar
- Shuang, Ming, and Zhou Ailin. 2014. zhong e benbi jiesuan zai tisu, jingmao hezuo yinglai nuanchun [China and Russia Accelerate Settlement with Their Own Currencies; Economic and Trade Cooperation to Experience Good Opportunities]. diyi caijing ribao [First Financial and Economic News], May 22.Google Scholar
- Song, Kui. 2014. dazo zhong e kuajing chanyelian [Creating Cross-Border Industrial Chains Between China and Russia]. heilongjiang jingji bao [Heilongjiang Economic News], April 10.Google Scholar
- Stenslie, Stig. 2014. Questioning the Reality of China’s Grand Strategy. China: An International Journal 12 (2): 161–178.Google Scholar
- Swaine, Michael. 2000. Does China Have a Grand Strategy? Current History 99 (639): 274–279.Google Scholar
- Swaine, Michael, and Ashley J. Tellis. 2000. Interpreting China’s Grand Strategy: Past, Present and Future. Santa Monica: RAND Corporation.Google Scholar
- The Economist. 2017. Unlikely Partners: Xi Jinping and Vladimir Putin Behave Like the Best of Buddies. The Economist, July 27. Available at https://www.economist.com/news/china/21725611-suspicion-between-russia-and-china-runs-deep-xi-jinping-and-vladimir-putin-behave-best.
- Twenty-First Century Economic News. 2014. zhong e gong qi xieyi, zhuli zhongguo nengyuan gongji duoyuanhua [Sino-Russian Gas Deal Good for the Diversification of China’s Energy Supply]. ershiyi shiji jingji baodao [21st-Century Economic News], May 23.Google Scholar
- United Nations. 1997. Russian–Chinese Joint Declaration on a Multipolar World and the Establishment of a New International Order. United Nations General Assembly, A/52/153 S/1997/384, April 23. http://www.un.org/documents/ga/docs/52/plenary/a52-153.htm.
- Wan, Jia. 2014. harbin tansuo jianli zhong e zimaoqu [Harbin Explores the Possibility of Building a Sino-Russian Free Trade Area]. guoji shang bao [International Business News], March 19.Google Scholar
- Wang, Haiyun. 2013. zhong e ying zai wending dongbeiya anquan zhixu shang jiaqiang zhanlue xiezuo [China and Russia Should Strengthen Collaboration on Stabilising the Security Order in Northeast Asia]. eluosi xuekan [Journal of Russian Studies] 3 (1): 5–9.Google Scholar
- Wang, Ying. 2014. fang Heilongjiang sheng dui e nongye chanye xiehui huizhang li demin [An Interview with Li Demin, President of the Heilongjiang–Russian Association for the Agricultural Sector]. Heilongjiang jingji bao [Heilongjiang Economic News], July 2.Google Scholar
- Xinhua. 2016. China, Russia Sign Joint Statement on Strengthening Global Strategic Stability. Xinhua News, June 26. Available at http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2016-06/26/c_135466187.htm.
- Yan, Xuetong. 2011. Ancient Chinese Thought, Modern Chinese Power, ed. Daniel Bell, Zhe Sun and trans. Edmund Ryden. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Yang, Bosen. 2014. gongjian yuandong jingjiqu huo cheng zhong e hezuo shenji xin silu [Jointly Building the Far East Economic Region May Become an Alternative for the Upgrading of Sino-Russian Cooperation]. zhongguo shehui kexue bao [China Social Science Bulletin], June 11.Google Scholar
- Ye, Zicheng. 2011. Inside China’s Grad Strategy: The Perspective from the People’s Republic, ed. and trans. Steven I. Levin and Guoli Liu. Lexington: The University Press of Kentucky.Google Scholar
- Yu, Zhao, et al. 2014. pujin fanghua: zhong e guanxi zai xian “dingceng sheji” zuoyong [Putin’s China Visit: The Role of “Top-Down Design” in Sino-Russian Relations]. Xinhua News, May 20. Available at http://news.xinhuanet.com/world/2014-05/20/c_126520478.htm.
- Yuan Chang. 2014. dazao zhong e hezuo shengjiban [Upgrade the Sino-Russian Cooperation]. guangming ribao [Guangming Daily], July 28.Google Scholar
- Zhao, Huasheng. 2014. qianping zhong e mei san da zhanlue zai zhongya de gongchu [The Co-existence of Chinese, Russian, and American Grand Strategies in Central Asia], guoji guancha [International Observation] 1: 96–109.Google Scholar
- Zuo, Fengrong. 2001. zouxiang ershiyi shiji de zhong e zhanlue xiezuo huoban guanxi [Walking Towards a 21st-Century Sino-Russian Strategic Partnership of Collaboration]. shijie jingji yu zhengzhi [World Economics and Politics] 8: 53–55.Google Scholar