Conclusion: Sino-Russian Relations in the 21st Century
In the concluding section of the book, Bekkevold highlights some of the principal themes covered in this volume, notably the growing convergence of interests and perceptions between Moscow and Beijing, and the widening imbalance of power in their relationship. He considers the implications of Sino-Russian partnership for twenty-first century international relations, and suggests some scenarios for how it might evolve over the next decade and beyond.
KeywordsPartnership Strategic rivalry Great power rivalry Political synergies Power gap Power shift Bipolar Alliance Nationalism Imperial overstretch Indo-Pacific
- Bekkevold, Jo Inge. 2018. China’s Grand Strategy in a New Era. IAPS Dialogue, University of Nottingham. https://iapsdialogue.org/2018/02/12/chinas-grand-strategy-in-a-new-era/. Accessed 10 Mar 2018.
- Bergsten, C. Fred. 2009. “Two’s Company”, Letter. September/October Issue, Foreign Affairs. https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/americas/2009-09-01/twos-company. Accessed 15 Nov 2017.
- Blackwill, Robert D., and Ashley J. Tellis. 2015. Revising U.S. Grand Strategy Toward China. Council Special Report No. 72, March, Council on Foreign Relations, New York.Google Scholar
- Bush, Richard C. 2011. The United States and China: A G-2 in the Making? Brookings, October 11. https://www.brookings.edu/articles/the-united-states-and-china-a-g-2-in-the-making/. Accessed 15 Nov 2017.
- China Daily. 2018. Highlights of Xi’s Keynote Speech at Boao Forum, April 10. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201804/10/WS5acc15a6a3105cdcf6517259_2.html. Accessed 11 Apr 2018.
- Ernst & Young. 2017. China and Russia in 2017: An Intricate Path of Growth, April. http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/EY-china-and-russia-2017-eng/$FILE/EY-china-and-russia-2017-eng.pdf. Accessed 2 Mar 2018.
- European Commission. 2018. Directorate-General for Trade. http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2006/september/tradoc_113440.pdf. Accessed 2 Mar 2018.
- Fewsmith, Joseph. 2016. The Challenges of Stability and Legitimacy. In China in the Era of Xi Jingping: Domestic and Foreign Policy Challenges, ed. Robert S. Ross and Jo Inge Bekkevold. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press. Google Scholar
- Friedberg, Aron L. 2012. A Contest for Supremacy: China, America and the Struggle for Mastery in Asia. New York: W. W. Norton.Google Scholar
- Gady, Franz-Stefan. 2017. India Wants Out of 5th Generation Fighter Jet Program with Russia. The Diplomat, October 23. https://thediplomat.com/2017/10/india-wants-out-of-5th-generation-fighter-jet-program-with-russia/. Accessed 18 Nov 2017.
- Harner, Stephen. 2015. Council on Foreign Relations’ Revising U.S. Grand Strategy Toward China Threatens a New Cold War. China–US Focus, April 22. https://www.chinausfocus.com/foreign-policy/council-on-foreign-relations-revising-u-s-grand-strategy-toward-china-threatens-a-new-cold-war. Accessed 12 Apr 2018.
- Harris, Harry B. 2017. Statement of Admiral Harry B. Harris Jr., U.S. Navy Commander, U.S. Pacific Command Before the House Armed Service Committee on U.S. Pacific Command Posture, 26 April. http://docs.house.gov/meetings/AS/AS00/20170426/105870/HHRG-115-AS00-Wstate-HarrisH-20170426.PDF. Accessed 8 Mar 2018.
- Hyodo, Shinji (ed.). 2017. East Asian Strategic Review 2017. Tokyo: National Institute for Defence Studies.Google Scholar
- Ikenberry, G. John. 2011. Liberal Leviathan: The Origins, Crisis, and Transformation of the American World Order. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Ikenberry, G. John. 2016. American Leadership May Be in Crisis, but the World Order is Not. Washington Post, January 27. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/in-theory/wp/2016/01/27/american-leadership-is-in-crisis-but-the-world-order-is-not/?utm_term=.dd5d2d34b784. Accessed 9 Mar 2018.
- IMF. 2017. World Economic Outlook Database. International Monetary Fund, October 2017. https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2017/02/. Accessed 15 Nov 2017.
- Kennedy, Paul. 1987. The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers. New York: Random House. Google Scholar
- Khurana, Gurpreet S. 2017. Trump’s New Cold War Alliance in Asia is Dangerous. Washington Post, November 14. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/theworldpost/wp/2017/11/14/trump-asia-trip/?utm_term=.49064ace19f0. Accessed 8 Mar 2018.
- Montgomery, Evan Braden. 2014. China’s Missile Forces Are Growing: Is it Time to Modify the INF Treaty? National Interest, July 2. http://nationalinterest.org/feature/chinas-missile-forces-are-growing-it-time-modify-the-inf-10791. Accessed 7 Mar 2018.
- Panda, Ankit. 2018. The Uncertain Future of the INF Treaty. Council on Foreign Relations, February 21. https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/uncertain-future-inf-treaty. Accessed 8 Mar 2018.
- Ross, Robert S. 2018. Troubled Waters. The National Interest 155, May/June: 53–61.Google Scholar
- SIPRI. 2018. Military Expenditure Database. https://www.sipri.org/sites/default/files/Milex-share-of-GDP.pdf. Accessed 9 Mar 2018.
- Tunsjø, Øystein. 2017. U.S.–China Relations: From Unipolar Hedging Toward Bipolar Balancing. In Strategic Adjustment and the Rise of China: Power and Politics in East Asia, ed. Robert S. Ross and Øystein Tunsjø. Ithaca and London: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Tunsjø, Øystein. 2018. The Return of Bipolarity in World Politics: China, the United States, and Geostructural Realism. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Waltz, Kenneth N. 1979. Theory of International Politics. Long Grove: Waveland Press.Google Scholar
- White House. 2017. National Security Strategy of the United States, Washington, DC, December. https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/NSS-Final-12-18-2017-0905.pdf.