Joint Image Extraction Algorithm and Super-Resolution Algorithm for Rheumatoid Arthritis Medical Examinations
Super-resolution techniques have been widely used in fields such as television, aerospace imaging, and medical imaging. In medical imaging, X-rays commonly have low resolution and a significant amount of noise, because radiation levels are minimized to maintain patient safety. So, we proposed a novel super-resolution method for X-ray images, and a novel measurement algorithm for treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) using X-ray images generated by our proposed super-resolution method. However, in our proposed system, there are several operations to do by doctors manually, and it is hard for them. By utilizing image recognition technology, it is possible to extract joint images from X-ray images automatically. In this paper, we will discuss an algorithm to extract joint images from X-ray images automatically. Experimental results show that correct joint images will be obtained for our proposed method. Therefore, our proposed measurement algorithm is effective for RA medical examinations.
KeywordsImage extraction Joint space distance Rheumatoid arthritis Medical examinations
- 1.Goto, T., Mori, T., Kariya, H., Shimizu, M., Sakurai, M., Funahashi, K.: Super-resolution technology for X-ray images and its application for rheumatoid arthritis medical examinations. In: International KES Conference on Innovation in Medicine and Healthcare (InMed), pp. 217–226, June 2016CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Singh, A., Ahuja, N.: Single image super-resolution using adaptive domain transformation. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), pp. 947–951, September 2013Google Scholar
- 3.Cho, C., Jeon, J., Paik, J.: Example-based super-resolution using selfpatches and approximated constrained least squares filter. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), pp. 2140–2144, October 2014Google Scholar
- 5.Meyer, Y.: Oscillating patterns in image processing and non-linear evolution equation. In: The Fifteenth Dean Jacqueline B. Lewis Memorial Lectures. University Lecture Series, vol. 22. American Mathematical Society (1992)Google Scholar
- 8.Goto, K., Nagashima, F., Goto, T., Hirano, S., Sakurai, M.: Super-resolution for high resolution displays. In: IEEE Global Conference on Consumer Electronics (GCCE), pp. 309–310, October 2014Google Scholar