Cuckoo Search via Lévy Flight Applied to Optimal Water Supply System Design
Designing optimal water supply systems is an important purpose of any urban system that involves relevant installation, operation and maintenance costs. However, achieving the optimal design is known to be a complex task, indeed the corresponding mathematical model for this problem leads to a non-linear and non-convex problem classified as NP-hard. In this paper, we propose using the cuckoo search algorithm which a modern bio-inspired metaheuristic based on the obligate brood parasitic behavior of cuckoo birds. This behavior is combined with the interesting Lévy flight, which mimic the exploration of some birds and flies, that move by combining straight flights and ninety degrees turns. The proposed approach results in a fast convergence algorithm able to noticeably reduce the number of objective function evaluations needed to solve this problem.
KeywordsOptimal water supply system design Cuckoo search algorithm Metaheuristics
Ricardo Soto is supported by Grant CONICYT/FONDECYT/REGULAR/1160455. Broderick Crawford is supported by Grant CONICYT/FONDECYT/REGULAR/1171243. Rodrigo Olivares is supported by CONICYT/FONDEF/IDeA/ID16I10449, FONDECYT/STIC-AMSU/17STIC-03, FONDECYT/MEC/MEC80170097, and Postgraduate Grant Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso (INF - PUCV 2015–2018).
- 10.Jacoby, S.L.S.: Design of optimal hydraulic networks. J. Hydraul. Div. 94(3), 641–661 (1968)Google Scholar
- 19.Pitchai, R.: A model for designing water distribution pipe networks. Ph.D. thesis, Harvard University (1966)Google Scholar
- 21.Quindry, G., Brill, E., Lienman, J.: Water distribution system design criteria. Technical report, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL (1979)Google Scholar
- 23.Schaake, J., Lai, D.: Linear programming and dynamic programming applications to water distribution network design. Technical report 116, Hydrodynamics Laboratory, MIT, Cambridge, MA (1969)Google Scholar
- 27.Shlesinger, M.F., Zaslavsky, G.M., Frisch, U. (eds.): Lévy Flights and Related Topics in Phyics. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar
- 33.Yang, X.-S., Deb, S.: Cuckoo search via lévy flights. In: World Congress on Nature & Biologically Inspired Computing (NaBIC), pp. 210–214. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar