Optimization of Just-in-Time Adaptive Interventions Using Reinforcement Learning
Momentary context data is an important source for intelligent decision making towards personalization of mobile phone notifications. We propose a reinforcement learning based personalized notification delivery algorithm, reasoning over momentary context data. Beyond the state of the art, we propose new approaches for faster convergence of the algorithm and jump start of learning performance at the beginning of the learning process. We test our approach in both simulated and real settings trying to optimize the timing of the notifications. Our eventual, practical aim is to make office workers more physically active during the work time. We compare the results obtained for standard and improved algorithms in both testbeds where improved versions yield better results.
The research leading to these results has received funding partially from the European Community’s H2020 Programme under grant agreement no H2020-PHC-689444, POWER2DM project (Predictive Model-Based Decision Support for Diabetes Patient Empowerment) and partially from The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK).
- 2.Ramachandran, A., Snehalatha, C., Ram, J., Selvam, S., Simon, M., Nanditha, A., Oliver, N., Shetty, A.S., Godsland, I.F., Chaturvedi, N., Majeed, A., Toumazou, C., Alberti, K.G., Johnston, D.G.: Effectiveness of mobile phone messaging in prevention of type 2 diabetes by lifestyle modification in men in India: a prospective, parallel-group, randomised controlled trial. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 1(3), 191–198 (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Nahum-Shani, I., Smith, S.N., Tewari, A., Witkiewitz, K., Collins, L.M., Spring, B., Murphy, S.: Just in time adaptive interventions (JITAIs): an organizing framework for ongoing health behavior support. Methodology Center Technical report (14-126) (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Rummery, G.A., Niranjan, M.: On-line Q-learning using connectionist systems, vol. 37. University of Cambridge, Department of Engineering (1994)Google Scholar
- 10.Mohan, S., Venkatakrishnan, A., Silva, M., Pirolli, P.: On designing a social coach to promote regular aerobic exercise. In: AAAI, pp. 4721–4727 (2017)Google Scholar
- 13.Oh, H., Jalali, L., Jain, R.: An intelligent notification system using context from real-time personal activity monitoring. In: IEEE International Conference on 2015 Multimedia and Expo (ICME), pp. 1–6. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar