Automated Underwriting in Life Insurance: Predictions and Optimisation
Underwriting is an important stage in the life insurance process and is concerned with accepting individuals into an insurance fund and on what terms. It is a tedious and labour-intensive process for both the applicant and the underwriting team. An applicant must fill out a large survey containing thousands of questions about their life. The underwriting team must then process this application and assess the risks posed by the applicant and offer them insurance products as a result. Our work implements and evaluates classical data mining techniques to help automate some aspects of the process to ease the burden on the underwriting team as well as optimise the survey to improve the applicant experience. Logistic Regression, XGBoost and Recursive Feature Elimination are proposed as techniques for the prediction of underwriting outcomes. We conduct experiments on a dataset provided by a leading Australian life insurer and show that our early-stage results are promising and serve as a foundation for further work in this space.
- 1.Howlette, B., Rajan, M., Chieng, S.P.: Future of life insurance in Australia. Technical report, PricewaterhouseCoopers (2017)Google Scholar
- 2.Chen, T., Guestrin, C.: XGBoost: a scalable tree boosting system. In: Proceedings of the 22nd ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pp. 785–794. ACM (2016)Google Scholar
- 3.Gandhi, D., Kaul, R.: Life and health - future of life underwriting. Asia Insur. Rev. 52, 76–77 (2016)Google Scholar
- 9.Joram, M.K., Harrison, B.K., Joseph, K.N.: A knowledge-based system for life insurance underwriting. Int. J. Inf. Technol. Comput. Sci. 9, 40–49 (2017)Google Scholar
- 11.Liu, S., Xu, G., Zhu, X., Zhou, Z.: Towards simplified insurance application via sparse questionnaire optimization. In: 2017 International Conference on Behavioral, Economic, Socio-Cultural Computing (BESC), pp. 1–2, October 2017Google Scholar
- 12.Arora, N., Vij, S.: A hybrid neuro-fuzzy network for underwriting of life insurance. Int. J. Adv. Res. Comput. Sci. 3, 231–236 (2012)Google Scholar