A Model-Driven Approach to Continuous Delivery of Cloud Resources
- 907 Downloads
DevOps is a paradigm which brings practices and tools that optimize the software delivery time. Cloud-based DevOps processes facilitate the continuous delivery of infrastructure and software applications (i.e. cloud resources). In particular, Infrastructure as Code is the cornerstone of DevOps for automating the infrastructure provisioning based on practices from software development. There exist several Configuration Management Tools (CMTs) that use script languages to define the infrastructure provisioning to be deployed in a particular cloud provider. However, manual setting of the script languages to establish the infrastructure provisioning in a CMT for a particular cloud provider is a time-consuming and error-prone activity. For these reasons, the aim of my PhD research is proposing a model-driven approach to abstract and automate a continuous delivery process of cloud resources through model-driven techniques and DevOps. In addition, this approach seeks to cover the development process of cloud resources in development, testing and production environments.
KeywordsCloud computing DevOps Continuous delivery Infrastructure as code Cloud resources Model-Driven development
This research is supported by the Value@Cloud project (TIN2013-46300-R).
- 1.Cois, C.A., Yankel, J., Connell, A.: Modern DevOps: optimizing software development through effective system interactions. In: IEEE International Professional Communication Conference (IPCC) (2015)Google Scholar
- 2.Humble, J., Farley, D.: Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation, 1st edn. Addison-Wesley Professional, Upper Saddle River (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Morris, K.: Infrastructure As Code: Managing Servers in the Cloud, 1st edn. O’Reilly Media Inc, Sebastopol (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Chen, W., et al.: MORE: a model-driven operation service for cloud-based IT systems. In: Proceedings - 2016 IEEE International Conference on Services Computing, SCC 2016, pp. 633–640 (2016)Google Scholar
- 8.Soni, M.: End to end automation on cloud with build pipeline: the case for DevOps in insurance industry, continuous integration, continuous testing, and continuous delivery. In: Proceedings - 2015 IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing in Emerging Markets, CCEM 2015, pp. 85–89 (2016)Google Scholar
- 9.Rathod, N., Surve, A.: Test orchestration a framework for Continuous Integration and Continuous deployment. In: 2015 International Conference on Pervasive Computing: Advance Communication Technology and Application for Society, ICPC 2015 (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Sandobalin, J., Insfran, E., Abrahao, S.: An infrastructure modelling tool for cloud provisioning. In: Proceedings - 14th IEEE International Conference on Services Computing, SCC (2017)Google Scholar
- 12.Steinberg, D., Budinsky, F., Merks, E., Paternostro, M.: EMF: Eclipse Modeling Framework. Addison-Wesley Professional, Lebanon (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Sandobalin, J., Insfran, E., Abrahao, S.: End-to-End automation in cloud infrastructure provisioning. In: Proceedings - 26th International Conference on Information Systems Development, ISD (2017)Google Scholar