“Barty” - A Serious Game to Fight Childhood Obesity: First Insights
- 1k Downloads
According to World Health Organization, childhood obesity, classified as the epidemic of the 21st century, is reaching alarming values all over the world. Mobile technologies, especially smartphones and tablets, are an important part of a children’s life. Many studies believe that these technologies can be used in a healthy way, helping children to grow, so caregivers allow its use, on the hope that can help at their kid’s development. With educational games kids learn better and faster, because they feel motivated. To contribute to the fight against this epidemic, a mobile Android application has been developed to educate and motivate children to achieve healthy lifestyles, as well as allowing caregivers to follow and be part of the process, giving them tools to contribute on the improvement on the life quality of the children.
KeywordsObesity Childhood Serious game Mobile Feed day
The authors would like to express their acknowledgements to the nutritionists Ana Miranda and Mariana Afonso for the follow-up on the development stage of this application, which led to the use of the best practices of nutrition, and to COMPETE: POCI-01-0145-FEDER-007043 and FCT – Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia within the Project Scope: UID/CEC/00319/2013.
- 1.World Health Organization: Report of the commission on ending childhood obesity. World Health Organization, Geneva (2016)Google Scholar
- 2.do Vale Leiras, E.M.: Comportamento alimentar da criança: a influência materna (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Anderson-McNAmee, J.K., Bailey, S.J.: The importance of play in early childhood development. Mont. State Univ. Ext. MontGuide (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Wang, L.-C., Chen, M.-P.: Innovations in education and teaching international (2017)Google Scholar
- 8.Pereira, J.P.: Smartphones em Portugal ultrapassaram telemóveis tradicionais – PÚBLICO (2014). https://www.publico.pt/2014/02/20/tecnologia/noticia/smartphones-em-portugal-ultrapassaram-telemoveis-tradicionais-1624400. Accessed 30 Dec 2016
- 9.Fitton, D., Bell, B.: Working with teenagers within HCI research: understanding teen-computer interaction, pp. 201–206 (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Nutriventures. http://www.nutri-ventures.com/pais/pt. Accessed 26 Aug 2017
- 13.Nunes, E., Breda, J.: Manual para uma alimentação saudável em jardins de infância. LisboaGoogle Scholar
- 14.Prates, P.R.: The heart as symbol. História, Ciências, Saúde – Manguinhos, vol. 12, pp. 1025–1031 (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.Abstract-O-Meter|Christopher Simmons. http://minesf.com/resources/cca/2010/01/25/abstract-o-meter/. Accessed 30 Sept 2017