Optimization of Operation Regimes of Irrigation Canals Using Genetic Algorithms
The paper focuses on the problem of irrigation canals operation regimes optimization which is important for minimizing operating expenses and ensuring stable water supply for agriculture. Regarding the complexity of the optimization problem we propose to solve it using genetic algorithm that searches for per-hour pumping station units’ operation regimes, their pumping rates and the heights of controllable weirs and gate structures that should guarantee water levels and flow velocities needed by farmers. As an underlying direct problem we use an initial-boundary value problem for one-dimensional Saint-Venant equations system discretized by finite difference scheme. The algorithms of direct and optimization problems solution was applied to model water flow and determine optimal water supply rates for North Crimean canal.
KeywordsSaint-Venant equation Inverse problems Genetic algorithms Irrigation systems
- 5.Mathur, Y.P., Sharma, G., Pawde, A.W.: Optimal operation scheduling of irrigation canals using genetic algorithm. Int. J. Recent Trends Eng. 1(6), 11–15 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Seshadri Sastry, K., Prasad Babu, M.S.: Adaptive population sizing genetic algorithm assisted maximum likelihood detection of OFDM symbols in the presence of nonlinear distortions. Int. J. Comput. Netw. Inf. Secur. (IJCNIS) 5(7), 58–65 (2013). https://doi.org/10.5815/ijcnis.2013.07.07CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Malaterre, P.O., Baume, J.P.: Modeling and regulation of irrigation canals: existing applications and ongoing researches. In: 1998 IEEE International Conference on Systems Man and Cybernetics, vol. 4, pp. 3850–3855 (1998)Google Scholar
- 13.Agu, C.E., Elseth, G., Lie, B.: Simulation of transcritical flow in hydraulic structures. In: Proceedings of the 56th Conference on Simulation and Modelling (SIMS 56), 7–9 October 2015, pp. 369–375. Linköping University, Sweden (2015)Google Scholar
- 15.Abedini, M.J., Hashemi, M.R.: Effect of convective term suppression in numerical simulation of trans-critical open channel flow. Iran. J. Sci. Technol. Trans. B Eng. 30(1), 85–96 (2006)Google Scholar