Howard Roark, John Galt, and The Transhumanist Wager
In his novel The Transhumanist Wager, Zoltan Istvan recreates certain elements of Ayn Rand’s work, in order to advance an argument for transhumanism. Istvan sees the transhuman imperative—self-enhancement through advanced technology—as a logical extension of Rand’s promotion of individualism and capitalism. Murnane analyzes character and plot dynamics—as well as Istvan’s use of language, and his philosophical argument—in order to show how Wager can be seen as a creative amalgam of Rand’s The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, augmented with a new didactic premise. Istvan’s book thus exemplifies the implicit and evident links between Rand and the posthuman.
- Amazon.com. n.d. “The Transhumanist Wager [Kindle Edition].” Accessed November 24, 2014. http://www.amazon.com/Transhumanist-Wager-Zoltan-Istvan-ebook/dp/B00AQQSY60/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1416861812&sr=1-1&keywords=the+transhumanist+wager#_.
- Bartlett, Jamie. 2014. “Meet the Transhumanist Party: ‘Want to Live Forever? Vote for Me.’” Daily Telegraph, December 23. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/11310031/Meet-the-Transhumanist-Party-Want-to-live-forever-Vote-for-me.html.
- Bernstein, Andrew. 2007. “Understanding the ‘Rape’ Scene in The Fountainhead.” In Essays on Ayn Rand’s “The Fountainhead”, edited by Robert Mayhew, 201–8. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.Google Scholar
- Bohan, Elise. 2017. “Could This Transhumanist Be the Next Governor of California?” Big Think, March 8. http://bigthink.com/elise-bohan/could-this-transhumanist-be-the-next-governor-of-california.
- Burns, Jennifer. 2009. Goddess of the Market: Ayn Rand and the American Right. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Clardy, Alan. 2012. “Galt’s Gulch: Ayn Rand’s Utopian Delusion.” Utopian Studies 23, no. 1: 238–62. http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/utopian_studies/v023/23.1.clardy.pdf.
- Daily Beast. 2012. “Paul Ryan, Mark Sanford, Ron Paul, and Other Politicians Who Love Ayn Rand.” August 14. Slideshow. http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2012/08/14/paul-ryan-mark-sanford-ron-paul-and-other-politicians-who-love-ayn-rand-photos.html#slide1.
- Daily Mail. 2011. “Floating Cities: PayPal Billionaire Plans to Build a Whole New Libertarian Colony Off the Coast of San Francisco.” August 25. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2024761/Atlas-Shrugged-Silicon-Valley-billionaire-reveals-plan-launch-floating-start-country-coast-San-Francisco.html.F.
- Den Uyl, Douglas J. 2007. “A Note on Rand’s Americanism.” In Ayn Rand’s “Atlas Shrugged”: A Philosophical and Literary Companion, edited by Edward W. Younkins, 361–75. Aldershot, Hampshire: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- Floating City Project. n.d. Accessed February 23, 2015. http://floating-city.org/.
- Friedman, Patri. 2011. “Atlas Shrugged Movie Thoughts / I am John Galt.” Patrissimo (blog). April 23. http://patrissimo.livejournal.com/1452257.html.
- Heller, Anne C. 2009. Ayn Rand and the World She Made. New York: Anchor Books.Google Scholar
- Istvan, Zoltan. n.d. The Transhumanist Wager (website). Accessed February 3, 2015. http://transhumanistwager.com/.
- Istvan, Zoltan. 2013a. The Transhumanist Wager. Futurity Imagine Media. Kindle.Google Scholar
- Istvan, Zoltan. 2013b. “The Transhumanist Wager (The Atlas Shrugged of Transhumanism).” Forum post. Good Reads, April 13. http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1288760-the-transhumanist-wager-the-atlas-shrugged-of-transhumanism.
- Istvan, Zoltan. 2014. “Should a Transhumanist Run for US President?” Huffington Post, December 8. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/zoltan-istvan/should-a-transhumanist-be_b_5949688.html.
- Istvan, Zoltan. 2017. “Why I’m Running for California Governor as a Libertarian.” Newsweek, February 12. http://www.newsweek.com/zoltan-istvan-california-governor-libertarian-555088.
- Kaminska, Izabella. 2015. “Since You Asked: The Technology Billionaires Aiming to Disrupt Death.” Financial Times, April 17. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/317cd592-e4ec-11e4-bb4b-00144feab7de.html#axzz3dRHPoG2v.
- Lewis, James R. 2009. “Infernal Legitimacy.” In Contemporary Religious Satanism: A Critical Anthology, edited by Jesper Aagaard Peterson, 41–58. Farnham, Surrey: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- Marin. 2014. “Reading List.” April. http://digital.marinmagazine.com/marinmagazine/april_2014?pg=29&search_term=zoltan+istvan&doc_id=-1#pg29.
- Mazzucato, Mariana. 2011. The Entrepreneurial State. London: Demos.Google Scholar
- Mejia, Paula. 2014. “Fetuses in Artificial Wombs: Medical Marvel or Misogynist Malpractice?” Newsweek, August 6. http://www.newsweek.com/fetuses-artificial-wombs-medical-marvel-or-misogynist-malpractice-263308.
- Nemo [pseud.]. n.d. “Satanism and Objectivism.” Church of Satan. Accessed October 3, 2013. http://www.churchofsatan.com/satanism-and-objectivism.php.
- Peterson, Jesper Aagaard. 2009. “Introduction: Embracing Satanism.” In Contemporary Religious Satanism: A Critical Anthology, edited by Jesper Aagaard Peterson, 1–24. Farnham, Surrey: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- Prisco, Giulio. 2013. “The Transhumanist Wager and the Terrifying Struggle for the Future.” Review of The Transhumanist Wager, by Zoltan Istvan. io9, May 27. http://io9.com/the-transhumanist-wager-and-the-terrifying-struggle-for-510012440.
- Rand, Ayn. 1983. We the Living. London: Signet.Google Scholar
- Rand, Ayn. 2005. Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal. With additional articles by Nathaniel Branden, Alan Greenspan, and Robert Hessen. New York: Signet.Google Scholar
- Rand, Ayn. 2005. The Romantic Manifesto: A Philosophy of Literature, Rev. ed. New York: Signet.Google Scholar
- Rand, Ayn. 2005. The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism. With additional articles by Nathaniel Branden. New York: Signet.Google Scholar
- Rand, Ayn. 2007. Atlas Shrugged. London: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Rand, Ayn. 2007. The Fountainhead. London: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Seasteading Institute. n.d. “Introduction.” Accessed June 25, 2011. http://seasteading.org/about-seasteading/introduction.
- Seasteading Institute. n.d. “Why the World Needs Seasteading.” Accessed December 29, 2014. http://www.seasteading.org/about/.
- Stolyarov, Gennady, II. 2013. “Thoughts on Zoltan Istvan’s The Transhumanist Wager: A Review.” Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies, November 6. http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/StolyarovII20131106.
- Thiel, Peter. 2009. “The Education of a Libertarian.” Cato Unbound, April 13. http://www.cato-unbound.org/2009/04/13/peter-thiel/education-libertarian.