A Cache-Aware Congestion Control for Reliable Transport in Wireless Sensor Networks
Data caching and congestion control are two strategies that can enhance the transport reliability in constrained Wireless Sensor Networks. However, these two mechanisms are designed independently for most transport protocols developed for WSN. This work developed a new cache-aware congestion control mechanism for reliable transport. RT-CaCC utilizes cache management policies such as cache insertion, cache elimination and cache size to mitigate packet losses in the network while maximizing cache utilization and resource allocation. It uses two cache management policies for packet loss detection: implicit notifications and expiration of timeout. In addition, it utilizes congestion avoidance using cache-aware rate control mechanism employing transmission window limit as a function of cache size. Results showed that the RT-CaCC obtained significant improvement gain in terms of cache utilization, end-to-end delay and throughput performance specifically during high level of packet loss in the network.
KeywordsCache-aware Congestion control Intermediate caching Internet of Things Wireless Sensor Networks
The authors would like to acknowledge the support of the University of the Philippines Diliman and the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) through the Engineering Research and Development for Technology (ERDT) Program.
- 2.Dunkels, A., Alonso, J., Voigt, T., Ritter, H.: Distributed TCP caching for wireless sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 3rd Annual Mediterranean Ad-Hoc Networks Workshop (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Braun, T., Voigt, T., Dunkels, A.: TCP support for sensor networks. In: Fourth Annual Conference on Wireless on Demand Network Systems and Services, WONS 2007, pp. 162–169, January 2007Google Scholar
- 4.Sharif, A., Potdar, V.M., Rathnayaka, A.J.D.: ERCTP: end-to-end reliable and congestion aware transport layer protocol for heterogeneous WSN. Scalable Comput.: Pract. Exp. 11(4), 359–372 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Alipio, M.I., Tiglao, N.M.C.: Analysis of cache-based transport protocol at congestion in wireless sensor networks. In: 2017 International Conference on Information Networking (ICOIN), pp. 360–365, January 2017Google Scholar
- 7.Alipio, M.I., Tiglao, N.M.C.: Improving reliable data transport in wireless sensor networks through dynamic cache-aware rate control mechanism. In: 2017 IEEE 13th International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications (WiMob), October 2017 (to appear)Google Scholar
- 8.Tiglao, N.M.C., Grilo, A.M.: Cross-layer caching based optimization for wireless multimedia sensor networks. In: 2012 IEEE 8th International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications (WiMob), pp. 697–704, October 2012Google Scholar
- 10.Meneses, D., Grilo, A., Pereira, P.R.: A transport protocol for real-time streaming in wireless multimedia sensor networks. In: 2011 7th EURO-NGI Conference on Next Generation Internet Networks, pp. 1–8, June 2011Google Scholar