An Experimental Characterization of a Parallel Mechanism for Robotic Legs
A novel robotic leg mechanism based on a parallel architecture is described in this paper. A walking operation of the mechanism is defined and characterized as function of its main design parameters through a numerical simulation. The same operation is then performed by a prototype of the proposed design that has been manufactured through 3D printing. Finally, the results of the numerical simulation and of the experimental tests are compared and discussed.
KeywordsRobotic legs Parallel mechanism Humanoid robot
The first author has spent a period of research in 2017 at Tokyo Institute of Technology under the supervision of Prof. Y. Takeda, who is gratefully acknowledged.
- 1.Chestnutt, J., Lau, M., Cheung, G., Kuffner, J., Hodgins, J., Kanade, T.: Footstep planning for the Honda Asimo humanoid. In: Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 629–634 (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Gouaillier, D., Collette, C., Kilner, C.: Omni-directional closed-loop walk for NAO. In: 10th IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots (Humanoids), pp. 448–454 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Wang, M., Ceccarelli, M.: Design and Simulation of Walking Operation of a Cassino Biped Locomotor. New Trends in Mechanism and Machine Science, pp. 613–621. Springer, Cham (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Wang, H., Sang, L., Zhang, X., Kong, X., Liang, Y., Zhang, D.: Redundant actuation research of the quadruped walking chair with parallel leg mechanism. In: 2012 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics (ROBIO), PP. 223–228 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Yang, P., Gao, F.: Kinematical model and topology patterns of a new 6-parallel-legged walking robot. In: ASME 2012 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, pp. 1197–1205 (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Xin, G., Zhong, G., Deng, H.: Dynamic analysis of a hexapod robot with parallel leg mechanisms for high payloads. In 2015 10th Asian Control Conference (ASCC), pp. 1–6 (2015)Google Scholar
- 11.Knudson, D.: Fundamentals of Biomechanics. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Russo, M., Ceccarelli, M., Takeda, Y.: Comparison of motion/force transmissibility in a 3-SPR parallel manipulator and a 6-SPS equivalent mechanism. In: Proceedings of the 5th IFToMM International Symposium on Robotics & Mechatronics (ISRM2017) (2017)Google Scholar
- 15.Cafolla, D., Ceccarelli, M.: An experimental validation of a novel humanoid torso. Robot. Auton. Syst. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.robot.2017.02.005
- 17.Collins, S.H., Ruina, A.: A bipedal walking robot with efficient and human-like gait. In: Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, ICRA 2005, pp. 1983–1988 (2005)Google Scholar