The Ethics Across Campus Program at the Colorado School of Mines
- 276 Downloads
By taking the Ethics Across Campus Program (EAC) at the Colorado School of Mines (CSM) as an example, this paper discusses how institutional, social, and policy contexts provide opportunities—and challenges—for ethics centers and programs to create effective moral learning experiences for students. This paper begins by depicting the historical background and institutional context within which this EAC program was founded and has evolved. It then introduces the major campus programs and curricular initiatives (e.g., the Daniels Fund Faculty Fellows Program) that aim to enhance students’ learning opportunities. Finally, this paper reflects on some major challenges faced by the program, including how to bridge physical and intellectual distances between faculty, and how to best cultivate an ethical climate for STEM education and research.
KeywordsEthics education Professional development Ethics across the curriculum Science and engineering ethic
- ABET. (2016). Criteria for accrediting engineering programs. http://www.abet.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/E001-17-18-EAC-Criteria-10-29-16-1.pdf. Accessed June 10, 2017.
- Colorado School of Mines. (2015). Colorado School of Mines 2015–2016 mini fact book. http://www.minesnewsroom.com/sites/default/files/wysiwyg-editor/docs/2015-16-Mini-Fact-Book.pdf. Accessed June 10, 2017.
- Colorado School of Mines. (2016). President Paul C. Johnson. http://www.minesnewsroom.com/president. Accessed June 10, 2017.
- Colorado School of Mines. (2016). Students—2016/2017. https://inside.mines.edu/Accountability-Students. Accessed June 10, 2017.
- Colorado School of Mines. (2017). Mines celebrates its new graduates. Mines newsroom. http://www.minesnewsroom.com/news/mines-celebrates-its-newest-graduates. Accessed June 10, 2017.
- Daniels Fund. (n.d.). Daniels Fund grants program: An overview. http://www.danielsfund.org/Grants/index.asp. Accessed June 10, 2017.
- Hardwig, J. (1997). Autobiography, biography, and narrative ethics. In H. L. Nelson (Ed.), Stories and their limits: Narrative approaches to bioethics (pp. 50–64). New York, NY: Routledge.Google Scholar
- IEEE Standards Association. (2016). IEEE Standards Association introduces global initiative for ethical considerations in the design of autonomous systems. http://standards.ieee.org/news/2016/ieee_autonomous_systems.html. Accessed June 10, 2017.
- Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering. (2015). Paul C. Johnson, Ph.D. http://faculty.engineering.asu.edu/pauljohnson/. Accessed June 10, 2017.
- McBride Honors Program in Public Affairs. History of the McBride program. http://inside.mines.edu/MCB-history. Accessed June 10, 2017.
- McBride Honors Program in Public Affairs. Why first year honors? http://inside.mines.edu/MCB-whyfirstyear. Accessed June 10, 2017.
- Mitcham, C. (2014). The true grand challenge for engineering: Self-knowledge. Issues in Science & Technology, 31, 19–22.Google Scholar
- Mitcham, C., & Englehardt, E. E. (2016). Ethics across the curriculum: Prospects for broader (and deeper) teaching and learning in research and engineering ethics. Science and Engineering Ethics. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11948-016-9797-7.
- National Academy of Engineering. (2004). The engineer of 2020: Visions of engineering in the new century. Washington, D.C.: The National Academies Press.Google Scholar
- National Academy of Engineering. (2016). Infusing ethics into the development of engineers: Exemplary education activities and programs. Washington, D.C.: The National Academies Press.Google Scholar
- National Science Foundation. (2009). RCR frequently asked questions. https://www.nsf.gov/bfa/dias/policy/rcr/rcrfaqs.jsp. Accessed June 10, 2017.
- Stockwell, C. (2016). The top 10 schools in the U.S. for an engineering degree. USA today. http://college.usatoday.com/2016/11/18/top-engineering-colleges/. Accessed June 10, 2017.
- The Business Journals. (2015). Exclusive: Here are the best public colleges in America. http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/news/2015/02/12/michigan-earns-top-honors-in-rankings-of-public.html. Accessed June 10, 2017.
- U.S. News & World Report. (2017). Top public schools: National universities. https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public. Accessed June 10, 2017.