Single- and Multi-objective Design Optimization of Heat Exchangers Using Jaya Algorithm and Its Variants
- 305 Downloads
This chapter presents design optimization case studies of shell-and-tube and plate-fin heat exchangers. The single objective and multi-objective design optimization case studies are solved by the Jaya algorithm and its variants such as self-adaptive Jaya, SAMP-Jaya and SAMPE-Jaya. The results of application of Jaya algorithm and its variants are compared with those of the other state-of-the-art optimization algorithms and the performance supremacy of the Jaya algorithm and its variants is established.
KeywordsJaya Algorithm TLBO Algorithm Minimum Total Annual Cost Tube Side Heat Transfer Coefficient Shell Side
- Dhavale, S. V., Kulkarni, A. J., Shastri, A., & Kale, I. R. (2016). Design and economic optimization of shell-and-tube heat exchanger using cohort intelligence algorithm. Natural Computing Applications. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00521-016-2683-z.
- Edwards, J. E. (2008). Design and rating of shell-and-tube heat exchangers. Teesside, UK: P and I Design Ltd.Google Scholar
- Han, W. T., Tang, L. H., & Xie, G. N. (2008). Performance comparison of particle swarm optimization and genetic algorithm in rolling fin-tube heat exchanger optimization design. In Proceedings of the ASME Summer Heat Transfer Conference, Jacksonville, FL (pp. 5–10).Google Scholar
- Incropera, F. P., & DeWitt, D. P. (1996). Fundamentals of heat and mass transfer. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Incropera, F. P., Dewitt, D. P., Bergman, T. L., & Lavine, A. S. (2010). Fundamentals of heat and mass transfer. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Kern, D. Q. (1950). Process heat transfer. Tokyo: McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc.Google Scholar
- Rao, R. V., & Saroj, A. (2017d). Single objective and multi-objective design optimization of plate-fin heat exchangers using Jaya algorithm. Heat Transfer Engineering (in press).Google Scholar
- Reneaume, J. M., & Niclout, N. (2003). MINLP optimization of plate-fin heat exchangers. Chemical and Biochemical Engineering Quarterly, 17, 65–76.Google Scholar
- Sahin, A. S., Kilic, B., & Kilic, U. (2011). Design and economic optimization of shell-and-tube heat exchangers using artificial bee colony (ABC) algorithm. Energy Conversion and Management, 52(11), 1417–1425.Google Scholar
- Shah, R. K., & Bell, K. J. (2009). CRC handbook of thermal engineering. Florida: CRC Press.Google Scholar
- Sinnot, R. K., Coulson, J. M., & Richardson, J. F. (1996). Chemical engineering design (Vol. 6). Boston MA: Butterworth-Heinemann.Google Scholar
- Turgut, O. E., & Çoban, M. T. (2016). Thermal design of spiral heat exchangers and heat pipes through global best algorithm. Heat Mass Transfer, 1–18. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00231-016-1861-y.
- Yu, X. C., Cui, Z. Q., & Yu, Y. (2008). Fuzzy optimal design of the plate-fin heat exchangers by particle swarm optimization, In Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery, Jinan, China (pp. 574–578).Google Scholar