This chapter offers a chapter-by-chapter overview of the main results of the volume and then exploits the repeated waves of the Italian Time Use Survey to give a descriptive overview of how time in the domestic setting has changed from the first wave in 1988–89 to the most recent wave in 2013–14. The results confirm previous studies by showing that, over the decades, women have been spending less time on housework and men more, thus resulting in an overall more gender-equal division of domestic chores among partners. Moreover, childcare time has also increased over the years, in line with previous international literature. The chapter draws on the results to discuss the implications of inequalities in domestic time for societal gender inequality and suggests avenues for future research.
KeywordsDomestic work Housework Childcare Adult care Life course Italy Italian time use survey Gender inequality Changes over time
- Carriero, R., & Todesco, L. (2016). Indaffarate e soddisfatte. Donne, uomini e lavoro familiare in Italia. Rome: Carocci Editore.Google Scholar
- Dotti Sani, G. M. (2012). La divisione del lavoro domestico e delle attività di cura nelle coppie italiane: un’analisi empirica. Stato e Mercato, 94(1), 161–192.Google Scholar
- EIGE (2015) Gender equality index 2015. European Institute for Gender Equality. www.eige.europa.eu/gender-statistics.
- Eurostat (2017) Employment, main characteristics and rates. Annual averages. Retrieved July, 7 2017, from http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/submitViewTableAction.do.
- Gershuny, J. (2000). Changing times: Work and leisure in postindustrial society. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Hochschild, A. (1989). The second shift: Working parents and the revolution at home. New York, NY: Viking.Google Scholar
- ISTAT (2014) La violenza contro le donne dentro e fuori la famiglia. Presidenza del Consiglio dei Ministri e Dipartimento delle Pari Opportunità. https://www.istat.it/it/archivio/violenza.
- ISTAT (2017) Omicidi di donne. Retrieved Feburary 8, 2018, from https://www.istat.it/it/violenza-sulle-donne/il-fenomeno/omicidi-di-donne.
- WEF (2016) The Global Gender Gap Report. World Economic Forum, Geneva, Switzerland. http://reports.weforum.org/global-gender-gap-report-2016.