Solving 114-Bit ECDLP for a Barreto-Naehrig Curve
The security of cryptographic protocols which are based on elliptic curve cryptography relies on the intractability of elliptic curve discrete logarithm problem (ECDLP). In this paper, the authors describe techniques applied to solve 114-bit ECDLP in Barreto-Naehrig (BN) curve defined over the odd characteristic field. Unlike generic elliptic curves, BN curve holds an especial interest since it is well studied in pairing-based cryptography. Till the date of our knowledge, the previous record for solving ECDLP in a prime field was 112-bit by Bos et al. in Certicom curve ‘secp112r1’. This work sets a new record by solving 114-bit prime field ECDLP of BN curve using Pollard’s rho method. The authors utilized sextic twist property of the BN curve to efficiently carry out the random walk of Pollard’s rho method. The parallel implementation of the rho method by adopting a client-server model, using 2000 CPU cores took about 6 months to solve the ECDLP.
KeywordsECDLP Barreto-Naehrig curve Pollard’s rho method
- 2.Bernstein, D.J., Engels, S., Lange, T., Niederhagen, R., Paar, C., Schwabe, P., Zimmermann, R.: Faster elliptic-curve discrete logarithms on FPGAs. Technical report, Cryptology eprint Archive, Report 2016/382 (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Certicom: the Certicom ECC challenge. https://www.certicom.com/content/dam/certicom/images/pdfs/challenge-2009.pdf. Accessed 10 Aug 2017
- 12.Miyoshi, S., Nogami, Y., Kusaka, T., Yamai, N.: Solving 94-bit ECDLP with 70 computers in parallel. Int. J. Comput. Electr. Autom. Control Inf. Eng. 9(8), 1966–1969 (2015)Google Scholar
- 18.Sakai, R., Kasahara, M.: Id based cryptosystems with pairing on elliptic curve. IACR Cryptology ePrint Archive 2003, 54 (2003)Google Scholar
- 19.Sakemi, Y., Nogami, Y., Okeya, K., Kato, H., Morikawa, Y.: Skew Frobenius map and efficient scalar multiplication for pairing–based cryptography. In: Franklin, M.K., Hui, L.C.K., Wong, D.S. (eds.) CANS 2008. LNCS, vol. 5339, pp. 226–239. Springer, Heidelberg (2008). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-89641-8_16 CrossRefGoogle Scholar