Surface Stretch of an Elastic Half-Space Under Indentation
In this chapter, we consider the tangential displacement field induced at the surface of a transversely isotropic elastic half-space by axisymmetric normal loading, e.g., with the help of a rigid indenter. In particular, a new elastic constant, which is responsible for the so-called surface stretch is introduced. Explicit formulas for the surface stretch are given for canonical (paraboloidal, conical, and spherical) indenters and a flat-ended annular indenter.
- 9.Fabrikant, V.I.: Applications of Potential Theory in Mechanics: A Selection of New Results. Kluwer, Dordrecht (1989)Google Scholar
- 11.Gradshteyn, I.S., Ryzhik, I.M.: Table of Integrals, Series, and Products. Academic, New York (1980)Google Scholar
- 12.Grinberg, G.A., Kuritsyn, V.N.: Diffraction of a plane electromagnetic wave by an ideally conducting plane ring and the electrostatic problem for such a ring. Sov. Phys. 6, 743–749 (1962)Google Scholar
- 16.Kachanov, M., Shafiro, B., Tsukrov, I.: Handbook of Elasticity Solutions. Kluwer Academic Publishing, Dordrecht (2003)Google Scholar
- 17.Love, A.E.H.: Boussinesq’s problem for a rigid cone. Quart. J. Math. Oxford Ser. 10, 161–175 (1939)Google Scholar