An Energy-aware Routing Protocol Based on Network Coding for Wireless Sensor Networks
In this paper, an energy-aware routing protocol based on network coding (NCEAR) is presented for wireless sensor networks which the energy is constrained. First, considering the rate matching problem of data flows, NCEAR adopts the distributed network coding to calculate the transmission cost of nodes, which reduces the energy consumption. In addition, NCEAR is capable of predicting the congestion degree of nodes through the energy consumption speed, thus balancing the network traffic. What’s more, in order to reduce the probability of link failure and the number of routing maintenance, the protocol takes nodes with the minimum residual energy into consideration and sets the minimum threshold. The simulation results show that compared with other protocols, NCEAR can effectively reduce energy consumption of the transmission, balance the network energy and traffic, prolong the network lifetime and improve the throughput.
KeywordsEnergy-aware Network coding Wireless sensor networks
This work was supported by NSFC (No. 61372069), “111" project (No. B08038) and the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities.
- 1.Akyildiz, I.F., Su, W., Sankarasubramaniam, Y., et al.: Wireless sensor networks: a survey. Comput. Netw. Int. J. Comput. Telecommun. Netw. 38(4), 393–422 (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Perkins, C., Belding-Royer, E., Das, S.: Ad hoc on-demand distance vector (AODV) Routing. RFC Editor (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Johnson, D.B.: The dynamic source routing protocol for mobile ad hoc networks (2007). draft-ietf-manet-dsr-09.txt
- 5.Wang, H., Xie, H., Qiu, L., et al.: COPE: traffic engineering in dynamic networks. In: Conference on Applications, Technologies, Architectures, and Protocols for Computer Communications, pp. 99–110. ACM (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Gu, Y., Han, H., Li, X., et al.: Network coding-aware routing protocol in wireless mesh networks. J. Tsinghua Univ. (Nat. Sci. Ed.) 20(1), 40–49 (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Zhenzhao, W., Zhijie, C., Wenling, X.: Energy aware routing strategy based on network coding for ad hoc networks. J. Comput. Sci. 43(7), 106–110 (2016)Google Scholar