Sampled Walk and Binary Fitness Landscapes Exploration
In this paper we present and investigate partial neighborhood local searches, which only explore a sample of the neighborhood at each step of the search. We particularly focus on establishing links between the structure of optimization problems and the efficiency of such local search algorithms. In our experiments we compare partial neighborhood local searches to state-of-the-art tabu search and iterated local search and perform a parameter sensitivity analysis by observing the efficiency of partial neighborhood local searches with different size of neighborhood sample. In order to facilitate the extraction of links between instances structure and search algorithm behavior we restrain the scope to binary fitness landscapes, such as NK landscapes and landscapes derived from UBQP.
- 1.Basseur, M., Goëffon, A.: Hill-climbing strategies on various landscapes: an empirical comparison. In: Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO), pp. 479–486. ACM (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Gary, M.R., Johnson, D.S.: Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness. W. H. Freeman & Co., New York (1979)Google Scholar
- 12.Ochoa, G., Tomassini, M., Vérel, S., Darabos, C.: A study of NK landscapes’ basins and local optima networks. In: Proceedings of the 10th Annual Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation, pp. 555–562. ACM (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Ochoa, G., Verel, S., Tomassini, M.: First-improvement vs. best-improvement local optima networks of NK landscapes. In: Schaefer, R., Cotta, C., Kołodziej, J., Rudolph, G. (eds.) PPSN 2010. LNCS, vol. 6238, pp. 104–113. Springer, Heidelberg (2010). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-15844-5_11 Google Scholar
- 15.Whitley, D., Howe, A.E., Hains, D.: Greedy or not? Best improving versus first improving stochastic local search for MAXSAT. In: AAAI (2013)Google Scholar
- 16.Wright, S.: The roles of mutation, inbreeding, crossbreeding, and selection in evolution, vol. 1 (1932)Google Scholar