Sharing Economies. For Each One. For All
This paper aims to increase awareness of the relationship between sharing economy initiatives and human diversity. The issue is characterized by particular physiological or pathological situations, or in consideration of different disabilities. Contemporary society is increasingly permeated by initiatives, in many areas, that facilitate people’s daily activities, and specific services are emerging from sharing economy’s area. The text will illustrate three different service design approaches: an exclusive, an integrative, and an inclusive ones. Case studies presented are mostly related to the mobility and hospitality, in Italy and Europe.
- Ahmadein, N. (2015). Uber teams up with harassmap to take positive action against sexual harassment. Uber. https://newsroom.uber.com/egypt/uber-teams-up-with-harassmap-to-take-positive-action-against-sexual-harassment/.
- Ameri, M., Rogers, S., Schur, L., & Kruse, D. (2017). No room at the inn? Disability access in the new sharing economy. New Jersey: Rutgers University.Google Scholar
- Alexander, C. (1964). Notes on the synthesis of form. Cambridge (MA, USA): Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Arrow, K. J. (1973). The theory of discrimination. In O. Ashenfelter & A. Rees (Eds.), Discrimination in labor markets. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Botsman, R., & Rogers, R. (2010). What’s mine is yours: The rise of collaborative consumption. New York: Harper Business.Google Scholar
- Crawford, K. (2016). Artificial intelligence’s white guy problem. New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/26/opinion/sunday/artificial-intelligences-white-guy-problem.html.
- Davis Pluess, J., Kim, L. E., Lee, M., Pelaez, P. (2016) An Inclusive Sharing Economy: Unlocking Busines Opportunities to Support Low-income and Underserved Communities, with contributions from BSR’s Dunstan Allison-Hope, Aron Cramer, Sara Enright, and Berkley Rothmeier, as well as The Rockefeller Foundation’s Ryan Whalen. BSR and The Rockefeller Foundation (eds.).Google Scholar
- Fox, J. (2016) Secrets of the sharing economy. Bloomberg. http://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-06-15/secrets-of-the-sharing-economy-in-the-age-of-uber.
- Phelps, E. S. (1972). The statistical theory of racism and sexism. American Economic Review, 62, 659–661.Google Scholar
- Rodriguez, S. (2015). For uber, lyft riders with disabilities, discrimination often comes included. International Business Times. http://www.ibtimes.com/uber-lyft-riders-disabilities-discrimination-often-comes-included-2052675.
- Schianchi, M. (2012). Storia della disabilità. Roma: Carocci.Google Scholar
- Vash, C. L., & Crewe, N. M. (2004). Psychology of disability (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Springer Publishing.Google Scholar
- Yuker, H. (Ed.). (1988). Attitudes toward persons with disabilities. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Badger, E. (2016). Airbnb says it plans to take action to crack down on racial discrimination. Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/06/02/airbnb-says-it-wants-to-take-action-to-crack-down-on-racial-discrimination-on-its-site/.
- Becker, G. S. (1957, 1971). The economics of discrimination (2nd edn.). Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Brown, S. K. (2016). The sharing economy: Challenges and opportunities for people with disabilities. NJ: AARP Research.Google Scholar
- Chesky, B. (2016). An update on the airbnb anti-discrimination review. Airbnb. http://blog.airbnb.com/an-update-on-the-airbnb-anti-discrimination-review/.
- Muzzatti, B. (2008). Attitudes towards disability: Beliefs, emotive reactions, and behaviors by non disabled persons. Giornale Italiano Di Psicologia, 35(2), 313–333.Google Scholar
- Soresi, S. (2007) Psicologia della disabilità. Il Mulino, Bologna.Google Scholar
- Thompson, D., Fisher, K., Purcal, C., Deeming, C., & Sawrikar, P. (2011). Community attitudes to people with disability: Scoping project No. 39. Australia: Disability Studies and Research Centre, University of New South Wales.Google Scholar
- Westerholm, R., Radak, L., Keys, C., & Henry, D. (2006a). Stigma. In G. Albrecht, J. Bickenbach, D. Mitchell, W. Schalick, & S. Snyder (Eds.), Encyclopedia of disability (pp. 1502–1507). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Westerholm, R., Radak, L., Keys, C., & Henry, D. (2006b). Stigma, international. In G. Albrecht, J. Bickenbach, D. Mitchell, W. Schalick, & S. Snyder (Eds.), Encyclopedia of disability (pp. 1507–1510). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.Google Scholar