Intensities and the Singular Assemblage: Time and Space
This chapter also focuses on the internal components of assemblages and the resulting intensities embodied within singular advertisements, situating their aesthetic, stylistic, narrative and consumer engagement qualities within the paradigm of assemblage thinking. Specifically, temporality and spatiality are considered and the ways in which these important cinematic elements are used in advertising.
- Adkins, Brent. 2015. Deleuze and Guattari’s A Thousand Plateaus: A Critical Introduction and Guide. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.Google Scholar
- Al-Saji, Alia. 2004. “The Memory of Another Past: Bergson, Deleuze and a New Theory of Time.” Continental Philosophy Review 37: 203–239.Google Scholar
- Ashton, Dyrk. 2008. “Feeling Time: Deleuze’s Time-Image and Aesthetic Effect.” Rhizomes 16 (Summer). http://www.rhizomes.net/issue16/ashton/index.html. Accessed on July 9, 2016.
- Aumont, Jacques. 1990. The Image. London: British Film Institute. First published 1990 as L’Image. Paris: Nathan.Google Scholar
- Austin, James. 2004. “Digitizing Frenchness in 2001: On a ‘Historic’ Moment in the French Cinema.” French Cultural Studies 15 (3): 281–299.Google Scholar
- Baudelaire, Charles. 1964. The Painter of Modern Life. New York, NY: Da Capo Press. First published 1863 in Le Figaro.Google Scholar
- Benjamin, Walter. 2002. The Arcades Project. Cambridge, MA: Belknap of Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Bergson, Henri. 1911. Creative Evolution. New York, NY: Henry Holt and Company.Google Scholar
- Braidotti, Rosi. 2014. The Posthuman. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Brown, William. 2013. Supercinema: Film Philosophy for the Digital Age. Oxford: Berghahn Books.Google Scholar
- Bruni, Barbara. 2002. “Jean Rouch: Cinéma-vérité, Chronicle of a Summer and the Human Pyramid.” Senses of Cinema 19 (March). http://sensesofcinema.com/2002/feature-articles/rouch/. Accessed on July 19, 2016.
- Crockett, Clayton. 2005. “Technology and the Time-Image: Deleuze and Postmodern Subjectivity.” South African Journal of Philosophy 24 (3): 176–188.Google Scholar
- Dawson, Jonathan. 2003. “Dziga Vertov.” Senses of Cinema 25 (March). http://sensesofcinema.com/2003/great-directors/vertov/. Accessed on July 19, 2016.
- De Landa, Manuel. 2015. Assemblage Theory. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.Google Scholar
- Deleuze, Gilles. 1990. The Logic of Sense. New York, NY: Columbia University Press. First published 1969 as Logique du sens. Paris: Les Éditions de Minuit.Google Scholar
- Deleuze, Gilles. 2013a. Cinema I: The Movement-Image. London: Bloomsbury. First published 1985 as Cinéma I: L’image-mouvement. Paris: Les éditions du Minuit.Google Scholar
- Deleuze, Gilles. 2013b. Cinema II: The Time-Image. London: Bloomsbury. First published 1985 as Cinéma II: L’image-temps. Paris: Les éditions du Minuit.Google Scholar
- Deleuze, Gilles, and Félix Guattari. 1987. A Thousand Plateaus. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press. First published 1980 as Mille plateaux. Paris: Les éditions du Minuit.Google Scholar
- Ezra, Elizabeth. 2008. Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Urbana, IL: University of Illinois Press.Google Scholar
- Ezra, Elizabeth. 2014. “Posthuman Memory and the Re(f)use Economy.” French Cultural Studies 25 (3/4): 378–386.Google Scholar
- Fournel, Victor. 1867. Ce qu’on voit dans les rues de Paris. Paris: E. Dentu.Google Scholar
- Guest, Haden. 2009. “Emotion Picture: Agnes Varda’s Self-Reflexive the Beaches of Agnes and the Cinema of Generosity.” Film Comment 45 (4): 44.Google Scholar
- Higbee, Will. 2006. “Diva.” In The Cinema of France, edited by Phil Powrie, 153–164. London: Wallflower.Google Scholar
- Jameson, Frederic. 1986. “On Magic Realism and Film.” Critical Inquiry 12 (2): 301–325.Google Scholar
- Kaganaski, Serge. 2001. “Amélie pas jolie.” Libération, May 31.Google Scholar
- Kolker, Robert. 2011. A Cinema of Loneliness. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Marty, Nicholas. 2016. “Deleuze, Cinema and Acousmatic Music (or What If Music Weren’t an Art of Time?).” Organised Sound 21 (2): 166–175.Google Scholar
- Pisters, Patricia. 2012. The Neuro-Image: A Deleuzian Film-Philosophy of Digital Screen Culture. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Rodowick, David. 1997. Gilles Deleuze’s Time Machine. Durham, NC and London: Duke University Press.Google Scholar
- Rodowick, David. 2010. Afterimages of Gilles Deleuze’s Film Philosophy. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Smith, David. 2002. “Keith Ansell-Pearson: Philosophy and the Adventure of the Virtual: Bergson and the Time of Life.” Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews (July). https://ndpr.nd.edu/news/philosophy-and-the-adventure-of-the-virtual-bergson-and-the-time-of-life/. Accessed on July 7, 2016.
- Tester, Keith, ed. 1994. The Flâneur. London and New York, NY: Routledge.Google Scholar