Seismic Stratigraphy of Sedimentary Cover
- 391 Downloads
Three major unconformities (Regional pre-Miocene, Early Eocene, post-Campanian) are regionally traced in the depressions of the Eurasian Basin. They are dated either by well data (ACEX IODP 302 on the Lomonosov Ridge), or by correlation of their onlaps on acoustic basement with the nearest identifiable linear magnetic anomaly.
The interpretation of pre-Cenozoic stratigraphy in the Central Arctic Uplifts Complex (CAUC) was based on tracing several regional seismic reflectors from seismic lines tied to wells drilled onshore and offshore Alaska into the North Chukchi Trough, with identification of Brookian, Lower Cretaceous and Upper Jurassic unconformities in the latter. This procedure was facilitated by previously established continuity of these unconformities from North Chukchi Trough into Vilkitsky Trough and Podvodnikov Basin. The established reflectors through the system of the Russian MCS profiles were further traced onto the entire Central Arctic Uplifts Complex.
KeywordsArctic Basin Stratigraphy Magnetic anomalies MCS Sampling and drilling
- Backman J, Moran K et al (2006) Sites M0001-M0004. Expedition 302 Scientists. Proceedings of the Integrated Ocean Drilling Program 302, p 169Google Scholar
- Bird KJ (1994) Ellesmerian petroleum system, North Slope of Alaska, USA AAPG special volumes. Chapter 21(V): pp 339–358Google Scholar
- Butsenko VV, Poselov VA (2006) Regional paleotectonic interpretation of seismic data from the deep-water central Arctic. IV International Conference on Arctic Margins (ICAM IV), Canada, 30 September – 3 October 2003Google Scholar
- Glebovsky VY, Kaminsky VD, Minakov AN et al (2006) Formation of the Eurasia Basin in the Arctic Ocean as inferred from geohistorical analysis of the anomalous magnetic field. Geotectonics J 4:21–42Google Scholar
- Jokat W, Weigelt E, Kristoffersen Y et al (1995) New insights into evolution of the Lomonosov ridge and the Eurasian Basin. Geophys J Int 122:378–392Google Scholar
- Klemperer SL, Miller EL, Grantz A et al (2002) Crustal structure of the Bering and Chukchi shelves: deep seismic reflection profiles across the North American continent between Alaska and Russia. GSA Special Paper 360:1–24Google Scholar
- Poselov VA, Butsenko VV, Chernykh AA et al (2014) The structural integrity of the Lomonosov Ridge with the North American and Siberian continental margins. VI International Conference on Arctic Margins (ICAM VI), Fairbanks, Alaska, 30 May – 2 June 2011Google Scholar
- Sherwood KW, Johnson PP, Craig JD et al (2002) Structure and stratigraphy of the Hanna Trough, U. S. Chukchi Shelf, Alaska. Geological Society of America Special Paper 360:39–66Google Scholar
- U.S. Geological Survey. https://www.usgs.gov (USGS)