Social and Digital Media: Creating, Engaging and Motivating Relationships
Political advertising on social, mobile and digital media used with a market driven perspective has changed how voters engage, experience and embrace political brands and candidates. This chapter explores how the shift from a unidirectional approach of stakeholder to voter has now become a two-way conversation that can occur across multiple platforms in the space of seconds rather than days or weeks as was the case in the past.
This change has benefitted all parties regardless of size or system as they can now move a voter from passive to active and active to volunteer or co-producer of content and ideas. A minor party is able to use these methods to become more entrepreneurial in behaviour, even acting as a disruptor in more established systems such as seen in the Obama campaign of 2008 or even through the Pirate Party in Iceland.
KeywordsSocial media NationBuilder Google Marketing campaign Market research
- Cadwalladr, C. (2016, December 4). Google, democracy and the truth about internet search. The Guardian. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/dec/04/google-democracy-truth-internet-search-facebook
- Cannon, D. A. (2002). The ethics of database marketing: Personalization and database marketing—If done correctly—Can serve both the organization and the customer. (Business Matters) Information Management Journal, 36(3), 42–45.Google Scholar
- Heath, R. (2017, September 21). EU Confidential Episode 14: NationBuilder’s Toni Cowan-Brown—German election—Boris Johnson’s fact and fantasy. Politico. Retrieved from http://www.politico.eu/podcast/eu-confidential-episode-14-nationbuilders-toni-cowan-brown-german-election-boris-johnsons-fact-and-fantasy/
- Jones, B. (2016, December 21). Meet NationBuilder, the mercenary software that powered Trump and Brexit. Digital Trends. Retrieved from https://www.digitaltrends.com/web/the-political-software-used-by-trump-and-the-brexit-campaign/
- Lapowsky, I. (2016, November 15). Here’s how Facebook actually won Trump The Presidency. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/dec/04/google-democracy-truth-internet-search-facebook
- Lapowsky, I. (2017, June 20). What should (and shouldn’t) worry you in that voter data breach. Wired. Retrieved from https://www.wired.com/story/voter-data-breach-impact/
- Schmitt, P., Skiera, B., & Van den Bulte, C. (2013, May). Referral programs and customer value. American Marketing Association.Google Scholar
- Solomon, M., Hughes, A., Chitty, B., Marshall, G., & Stuart, E. (2013). Marketing: Real people, real choices. Pearson Higher Education AU.Google Scholar
- Thaler, R. H., & Sunstein, C. R. (2008). Nudge: Improving decisions about health, wealth, and happiness. Yale University Press.Google Scholar