Software Tool for Evaluation of Road Pavement Energy Harvesting Devices
This paper deals with the development of a software tool to evaluate road pavement energy harvesting systems technically and economically, as well as performing cost benefit analysis for the application of this type of energy generation solution as the energy source for different applications. The software also allows the user to perform a sensitivity analysis by selecting a key variable and defining its different values. Some case studies are also presented to demonstrate the software application and how it can be used to evaluate this technology.
KeywordsRoad Pavement Energy Harvesting Simulation software Energy economics Cost Benefit Analysis Sensitivity Analysis
The present research work has been carried out in the framework of project PAVENERGY – Pavement Energy Harvest Solutions (PTDC/ECM-TRA/3423/2014), co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (POCI-01-0145-FEDER-016676) through the Operational Program for Competitiveness Factors (COMPETE) and by national funds through the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT). The author Francisco Duarte is also grateful to the FCT for the financial support provided to this study through Grant SFRH/BD/95018/2013. The authors also thank the ACIV for its financial contribution for the presentation of this research work in the 6th World Conference on Information Systems and Technologies.
- 1.Hoga software: http://hoga-renewable.es.tl/. Accessed 20 Jan 2017
- 2.Homer energy: http://www.homerenergy.com/. Accessed 20 Jan 2017
- 3.Hybrid2 software: https://www.umass.edu/windenergy/research/topics/tools/software/hybrid2. Accessed 23 Jan 2017
- 4.RETScreen software: https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/software-tools/7465. Accessed 24 Jan 2017
- 5.Grhyso software: http://www.unizar.es/rdufo/grhyso.htm. Accessed 20 Jan 2017
- 6.Duarte, F.: Pavement Energy Harvesting System to Convert Vehicles Kinetic Energy into Electricity, Ph. D thesis. University of Coimbra (2017)Google Scholar
- 8.Duarte, F., Ferreira, A.: Energy harvesting on road pavements: state of the art. Proc. Inst. Civil Eng. Energy 169(2), 79–90 (2016)Google Scholar