School Social Work
School social workers may face significant ethical and legal issues during the course of providing services, including questions related to access to school and school services, confidentiality and privacy, and the release of information. This chapter focuses on federal statutes that are relevant to the public education system and the role of the social worker within that system, including the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the Equal Access Act, Title IX of the Educational Amendment of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. Relevant federal court cases are also discussed.
- American Civil Liberties Union. (2006, August 24). Simpson v. University of Colorado. https://www.aclu.org/cases/simpson-v-university-colorado. Accessed 03 May 2017.
- American Civil Liberties Union. (2017). Title IX and sexual violence in schools. https://www.aclu.org/title-ix-and-sexual-violence-schools. Accessed 19 April 2017.
- Bacon, J., & Baskin, M. (2015, September 15). 37 fraternity members face charges in hazing death of pledge. USA Today. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/09/15/fraternity-deaths-hazing-pledges-charges/72299808/. Accessed 03 May 2017.
- Battle, S., Acting Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, United States Department of Education, & Wheeler, T.E. II, Acting Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights, United States Department of Justice. (2017, February 22). Dear colleague letter. http://www.justice.gov/press-release/file/941551/download. Accessed 18 April 2017.
- Castillo, A. (2017, March 3). Immigrant arrested by ICE after dropping daughter off at school, sending shock waves through neighborhood. Los Angeles Times,. http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-immigration-school-20170303-story.html. Accessed 10 May 2017.
- Cooke, K., & Rosenberg, M. (2017, March 4). Parents fearing deportation pick guardians for U.S. children. Reuters, http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-parents-idUSKBN16A16V. Accessed 10 May 2017.
- Dibble, N. (n.d.). Minor students’ rights to confidentiality, self-determination, and informed consent in Wisconsin. Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. https://dpi.wi.gov/sites/default/files/imce/sspw/pdf/sswpgethicsrights.pdf. Accessed 29 March 2017.
- Hesson, T., & Kim, H. M. (2017, May 3). Casey blasts Trump administration over child deportation. Politico, http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/03/bob-casey-tweets-halt-deportation-237939. Accessed 10 May 2017.
- Illinois State Board of Education. (2007). School social work: Student services providers recommended practices and procedures manual. https://www.isbe.net/Documents/social_work_manual.pdf. Accessed 29 March 2017.
- Kreighbaum, A. (2017, February 23). Transgender protections withdrawn. Inside Higher Ed, http://www.insidehighered.com. Accessed 18 April 2017.
- Lavoie, N. (2016). Definition of educational record. In Office of General Counsel, Catholic University of America. http://counsel.cua.edu/ferpa/questions/. Accessed 18 April 2017.
- Luepker, E. T. (2003). Record keeping in psychotherapy and counseling. New York: Brunner-Routledge.Google Scholar
- Shear, M. D., & Nixon, R. (2017, February 26). New Trump deportation rules allow far more expulsions. New York Times, https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/21/us/politics/dhs-immigration-trump.html. Accessed 10 April 2017.
- Turpin, C. (2017, February 13). Police probe hazing, excessive drinking in Penn State frat death. NJ.com. http://www.nj.com/hunterdon/index.ssf/2017/02/police_probe_hazing_excessive_drinking_in_penn_sta.html. Access 3 May 2017.
- United States Department of Education. (2015, June 26). Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). https://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html? src=rn. Accessed 03 May 2017.
- United States Department of Education. (2010, June). Family Educational and Privacy Rights Act (FERPA) and the disclosure of student information related to emergencies and disasters. https://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/pdf/ferpa-disaster-guidance.pdf. Accessed 18 April 2017.
- United States Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights. (2010). Free appropriate public education for students with disabilities: Requirements under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/edlite-FAPE504.html. Accessed 10 May 2017.
- United States Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights. (n.d.). Know your rights: Title IX prohibits sexual harassment and sexual violence where you go to school. https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/title-ix-rights-201104.pdf. Accessed 19 April 2017.
- Brown v. Board of Education, 347 U.S. 483 (1954) (Brown I); Board v. Board of Education, 349 U.S. 294 (1955) (Brown II).Google Scholar
- J.K. v. Arizona Board of Regents, 2008 LEXIS 83855 (No. CV 06–916-PHX-MHM, D. Ariz. Sep. 29, 2008).Google Scholar
- Meyer v. Nebraska, 262 U.S. 390 (1923).Google Scholar
- Pierce v. Society of Sisters, 268 U.S. 510 (1925).Google Scholar
- Plyler v. Doe, 457 U.S. 202 (1982).Google Scholar
- San Antonio v. Rodriguez, 411 U.S. 1 (1973).Google Scholar
- Simpson v. University of Colorado, 500 F.3d 1170 (10th Cir. 2007).Google Scholar
- Tarasoff v. Regents of the University of California, 17 Cal. 3d 425 (1976).Google Scholar
- Truth v. Kent School District, 542 F.3d 634 (9th Cir. 2008).Google Scholar
- Wisconsin v. Yoder, 406 U.S. 205 (1972).Google Scholar
- Americans with Disabilities Act, 42 U.S.C. § 12101 et seq. (West 2002).Google Scholar
- Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act, Pub. L. No. 110–325 (2009).Google Scholar
- Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, Pub. L. No. 89–10, 79 Stat. 27 (1965).Google Scholar
- Equal Access Act, 20 U.S.C.A. § 4071 (2002).Google Scholar
- Every Student Succeeds Act, Pub. L. No. 114–95, 129 Stat. 1802 (2015).Google Scholar
- Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), 20 U.S.C. §§ 1232(a)(4)(A), 1232g (b), (h) (2013).Google Scholar
- Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 56.Google Scholar
- Improving America’s Schools Act, Pub. L. No. 103–381, 108 Stat. 3518 (1994).Google Scholar
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), Pub. L. No. 101–476, 104 Stat. 1142 (1990).Google Scholar
- No Child Left Behind Act, Pub. L. No. 107–110, 115 Stat. 145 (2002).Google Scholar
- Vocational Rehabilitation Act of 1973 § 504, 29 U.S.C. § 794 (a) (2015).Google Scholar