This chapter introduces the motivation of employing MASH continuous-time Delta-Sigma modulators (CTΔΣMs) for long-term-evolution advanced (LTE-A), WiFi and next generation wide-bandwidth telecommunication standards. Compared with high-order single-loop implementations, MASH CTΔΣMs show superior stability and overload recovery capability. Therefore, MASH modulators tolerate more out-of-band noise and show a promising potential for wide-bandwidth and low-power capability. Nevertheless, the noise leakage due to the poor matching between analog and digital transfer function and the nonideal inter-stage interfacing are the main limitations of the MASH CTΔΣM topology. The work focuses on the analysis and design of MASH CTΔΣMs. System- and circuit-level design techniques are proposed to enable MASH CTΔΣMs to its full potential. An overview of the scope and organization of the book is also provided in this chapter.
- 1.N. Klemmer, S. Akhtar, V. Srinivasan, P. Litmanen, H. Arora, S. Uppathil, S. Kaylor, A. Akour, V. Wang, M. Mares, F. Dulger, A. Frank, D. Ghosh, S. Madhavapeddi, H. Safiri, J. Mehta, A. Jain, H. Choo, E. Zhang, C. Sestok, C. Fernando, K. Rajagopal, S. Ramakhrisnan, V. Sinari, V. Baireddy, A 45nm CMOS RF-to-bits LTE/WCDMA FDD/TDD 2x2 MIMO base-station transceiver SoC with 200 MHz RF bandwidth, in IEEE Int. Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC) Dig. Tech. Papers, San Francisco (2016), pp. 164–165Google Scholar
- 2.J. Wannstrom, Long-term-evolution advanced (LTE-A) [Online] (2013). Available: http://www.3gpp.org/technologies/keywords-acronyms/97-lte-advanced
- 3.C. Briseno-Vidrios, A. Edward, A. Shafik, S. Palermo, J. Silva-Martinez, A 75-MHz continuous-time sigma-delta modulator employing a broadband low-power highly efficient common-gate summing stage. IEEE J. Solid State Circuits 52(3), 657–668 (2017)Google Scholar
- 4.A. Edward, Q. Liu, C. Briseno-Vidrios, M. Kinyua, E.G. Soenen, A.I. Karsilayan, J. Silva-Martinez, A 43-mW MASH 2-2 CT ΣΔ modulator attaining 74.4/75.8/76.8 dB of SNDR/SNR/DR and 50 MHz of BW in 40-nm CMOS. IEEE J. Solid State Circuits 52(2), 448–459 (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.C. Briseno-Vidrios, A. Edward, N. Rashidi, J. Silva-Martinez, A 4 bit continuous-time ΣΔ modulator with fully digital quantization noise reduction algorithm employing a 7 bit quantizer. IEEE J. Solid State Circuits 51(6), 1398–1409 (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Q. Liu, A. Edward, D. Zhou, J. Silva-Martinez, A continuous-time MASH 1-1-1 delta-sigma modulator with FIR DAC and encoder-embedded loop-unrolling quantizer in 40-nm CMOS. IEEE Trans. Very Large Scale Integr. Syst. 99, 1–12 (2017)Google Scholar
- 7.B. Murmann, ADC performance survey [Online] (2010–2017). Available http://www.stanford.edu/~murmann/adcsurvey.html