This chapter is about just and equitable compensation both a minimum living wage and the need to pay for performance. While leaders and managers may not be able to set policy for the organization, they can be advocates for employees and work to provide fair and equitable payment for work done on behalf of the organization.
- Alston, R. (1994). Roman military pay from Caesar to Diocletian. The Journal of Roman Studies, 84, 113–123. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/stable/300872.
- Brack, J., & Kelly, K. (2012). Maximizing millennials in the workplace. University of North Carolina Kenan-Flager Business School. Retrieved from Kenan-Flager University of North Carolina. http://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/executive-development/custom-programs/~/media/files/documents/executive-development/maximizing-millennials-in-the-workplace.pdf.
- Card, D., & Krueger, A. B. (1997). Myth and measurement. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Ehrenfreund, M. (2017, June 26). A ‘very credible’ new study on Seattle’s $15 minimum wage has bad news for liberals. The Washington Post. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/06/26/new-study-casts-doubt-on-whether-a-15-minimum-wage-really-helps-workers/?utm_term=.9e773c8704ce.
- Figart, D. (2001). Ethical foundation of the contemporary living wage movement. International Journal of Social Economics, 28(10, 11, 12), 800–814. https://doi.org/10.1108/eum0000000006125.
- Ivancevich, J., & Konopaske, R. (2012). Human resource management (12th ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill Higher Education.Google Scholar
- Pollin, R. (2007). Economic prospects: Making the federal minimum wage a living wage. New Labor Forum, 16(2), 103–107. Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/40342937.
- Ryan, J. A. (1906, reprinted 2017). A living wage: Its ethical and economic aspects. New York: Macmillan. Retrieved from https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=mNA2AQAAMAAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PA3&dq=minimum+living+wage&ots=DbXuEsKH7X&sig=nMSCrV1LArtR3pUQJB4W5xkcYqM#v=onepage&q=minimum%20living%20wage&f=false.
- Spielberg, B. (2017, June 27). Seattle’s higher minimum wage is actually working just fine. The Washington Post. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2017/06/27/seattles-higher-minimum-wage-is-actually-working-just-fine/?utm_term=.2b175c1a9b1d.
- van Heesch, J. (2007). Some aspects of wage payments and coinage in ancient Rome, first to third centuries AD. In J. Lucassen (Ed.), Wages and currency: Global and historical comparisons (pp. 77–96). Bern-Berlin: Peter Lang. Retrieved from http://kbr.academia.edu/JohanVanHeesch.
- Whiston, R. (1875). Stipendium. In W. Smith (Ed.), A dictionary of Greek and Roman antiquities. London: John Murray. Retrieved March 27, 2018, from http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/secondary/SMIGRA*/Stipendium.html.