Transitions of Care
Value-based purchasing requires healthcare systems to strategize by considering all elements of the continuum of care. Covered beneficiaries enrolled in the health system must be efficiently managed at each level of care and appropriate communication, acknowledgment, and respect for each component along the healthcare continuum are essential for optimum patient experience of care, quality performance, and value.
KeywordsHealthcare continuum Patient experience of care
- 4.Vasilevskis EE, Ouslander JG, Mixon AS, Bell SP, Jacobsen JM, Saraf AA, Markley D, Sponsler KC, Shutes J, Long EA, Kripalani S, Simmons SF, Schnelle JF. Potentially avoidable readmissions of patients discharged to post-acute care: perspectives of hospital in skilled nursing facility staff. J Am Ger Soc. 2017;65:269–76.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Centers for Disease Control, National Center for Health Statistics. Health, United States (2015) https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/health-expenditures.html. (overview- Tables 93-95) Accessed 17 Nov 2017
- 6.Bradley EH, Taylor LA. The American health care paradox: why spending more is getting us less. New York, NY: Public Affairs; 2013.Google Scholar
- 7.OCED (2017), Social spending (indicator). doi: https://doi.org/10.1787/7497563b-en Accessed 5 Oct 2017.
- 8.Medicare Payment Advisory Commission. A path to bundled payment around a rehospitalization. In:Report to the Congress: reforming the delivery system. Washington, DC; 2005. p. 83–103.Google Scholar
- 9.Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Transitional care workgroup meeting July 12, 2013 https://www.pcori.org/assets/2013/08/PCORI-Transitional-Care-Workgroup-April-2013-Meeting-Summary-071213.pdf. Accessed 25 Jan 2018.
- 16.Mims AD, Pederson JC, Gold JA. Healthcare changes and the affordable care act: a physician call to action quality improvement organizations. In: Powers JS, editor. Healthcare changes and the affordable care act. Switzerland: Springer International Publishing; 2015. p. 13–31.Google Scholar
- 18.Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration. 2015. Patient aligned care team (Geri-PACT) handbook. Washington, DC. https://www.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPublication.asp?pub_ID=3115. Accessed 17 Nov 2017.
- 21.Barash D. Tele–mentoring is creating global communities or practice in healthcare. Harv Bus Rev 2016. https://hbr.org/2016/11/tele-mentoring-is-creating-global-communities-of-practice-in-health-care. Accessed 20 Oct 2017.
- 23.Veterans Health Administration, OIG, Office of Audits and Evaluations: Audit of the community nursing home program. March 29, 2013 No. 11-0031-160.Google Scholar
- 25.Wong R. Geriatric program development in the future hospital. Abstract presented at the 21st World Congress of Geriatrics and Gerontology, 2017. p.78, Available at https://academic.oup.com/DocumentLibrary/GERONI/01_GERONI_igx004.pdf Senior Friendly Hospital toolkit at http://seniorfriendlyhospitals.ca/about-sfh. Accessed 17 Nov 2017.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.National Transitions of Care Coalition, 2010. Improving transitions of care. http://www.ntocc.org/portals/0/pdf/resources/ntoccissuebriefs.pdf. Accessed 17 Nov 2017.
- 27.Nuckols TK, Keeler E, Mortobn S, et al. Economic evaluation of quality improvement interventions designed to prevent hospital readmission. A systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA. 2017;177:975–85.Google Scholar
- 28.American Association for Long-term Care Insurance. Long-term care insurance fast facts. http://www.aaltci.org/long-term-care-insurance/learning-center/fast-facts.php. Accessed 17 Nov 2017.