Quality Indicators, Outcomes, and Performance Pay
The history of the centers for Medicare Medicaid Services (CMS) involvement in quality improvement is long-standing. Linking performance metrics to payment is a powerful lever to stimulate healthcare improvement and maintenance of quality. This may also improve consistency and standardization of healthcare practices across regions.
KeywordsQuality indicators Performance metrics Healthcare practices
- 1.National Academies of Science Engineering and Medicine. Improving the quality of care in nursing homes. 1986. http://www.nationalacademies.org/hmd/Reports/1986/Improving-the-Quality-of-Care-in-Nursing-Homes.aspx. Accessed 17 Nov 2017.
- 2.Mitchell E. Population-based payment models: overcoming barriers, accelerating adoption. May 16, 2016. https://hcp-lan.org/2016/05/pbp-models-overcoming-barriers-accelerating-adoption/. Accessed 17 Nov 2017.
- 3.Institute of Medicine. Vital signs: core metrics for health and health care progress. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2015.Google Scholar
- 4.Office of the Federal Register. Medicare Program; Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) and Alternative Payment Model (APM) incentive under the physician fee schedule, and criteria for physician-focused payment models, 42 CFR Parts 414 and 495. Published in the Federal Register 11/4/16: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2016/11/04/2016-25240/medicare-program-merit-based-incentive-payment-system-mips-and-alternative-payment-model-apm. Accessed 17 Nov 2017.
- 5.Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Quality payment programs. Executive summary. https://qpp.cms.gov/docs/QPP_Executive_Summary_of_Final_Rule.pdf. Accessed 17 Nov 2017.
- 7.American College of Physicians. Comment: Medicare Program; Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) and Alternative Payment Model (APM) Incentive under the Physician fee schedule, and criteria for physician-focused payment models [CMS-5517-FC]. https://www.acponline.org/acp_policy/letters/avp_comment_letter_to_cms_on_macra_final_rule_2016.pdf. Accessed 17 Nov 2017.
- 9.Gagliano N. Satisfaction vs burnout. Value-based strategies that motivate. Group Pract J. 2017:15–17.Google Scholar
- 10.Medicare’s Quality Improvement Organization program: Maximizing potential. Pathways to healthcare. http://www.nap.edu/catalog/11604.html. Accessed 17 Nov 2017.
- 13.Mims AD, Pederson JC, Gold JA. Healthcare changes and the affordable care act: a physician call to action quality improvement organizations. In: Powers JS, editor. Healthcare changes and the affordable care act. Switzerland: Springer International Publishing; 2015. p. 13–31.Google Scholar