Detection of Early Gastric Cancer from Endoscopic Images Using Wavelet Transform Modulus Maxima
It is said that the overlooking rate of early gastric cancer in endoscopic examination reaches 20–25% in Japan, and it is desirable to develop a detection method for early gastric cancer from endoscopic images to reduce the overlooking rate. We propose a new method for detecting early gastric cancer from endoscopic images using the wavelet transform modulus maxima (WTMM). First, our method converts the original image into the CIE L*a*b* color space. Next, we apply the dyadic wavelet transform (DYWT) to the a* component image and compute the WTMM of the high frequency component. It is shown that the WTMM of the abnormal parts tends to become smaller than the WTMM of the normal parts. We describe the method detecting the abnormal parts based on these features in detail, we show experimental results demonstrating that the proposed method are able to detect the regions suspected of being early gastric cancer from endoscopic images.
KeywordsImage analysis Frequency analysis Early gastric cancer Dyadic wavelet transform Wavelet transform modulus maxima
- 1.IARC, Stomach cancer estimated incidence, mortality and prevalence worldwide in 2012. http://globocan.iarc.fr/old/FactSheets/cancers/stomach-new.asp
- 2.T. Aoyama, T. Yoshikawa, T. Watanabe, T. Hayashi, T. Ogata, H. Cho, A. Tsuburaya, Macroscopic tumor size as an independent prognostic factor for stage II/III gastric cancer patients who underwent D2 gastrectomy followed by adjuvant chemotherapy with S-1. Gastric Cancer 14, 274–278 (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Y. Morimoto, M. Kubo, M. Kuramoto, H. Yamaguchi, T. Kaku, Development of a New Generation Endoscope System with Lasers “LASEREO”. Fujifilm Res. Dev. 58, 6 pp. (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.H. Matsunaga, H. Omura, R. Ohura, T. Minamoto, Daubechies wavelet-based method for early esophageal cancer detection from flexible spectral imaging color enhancement image. Adv. Intell. Syst. Comput. 448, 939–948 (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.R. Ohura, H. Omura, Y. Sakata, T. Minamoto, Computer-aided diagnosis method for detecting early esophageal cancer from endoscopic image by using dyadic wavelet transform and fractal dimension. Adv. Intell. Syst. Comput. 448, 929–938 (2016)Google Scholar