The Use of Games Software to Enhance Educational Material
It is suggested that constructing course material using games frameworks might ameliorate problems of inattentive students. Four types of inattentive students are described and common reasons for their lack of attention in class are discussed. Each individual student possesses different levels of ‘intelligence’ or talents. Unfortunately, only a few of these are promoted, developed and assessed in most education. Fun and entertaining video games have clearly demonstrated the potential to hold the attention of students for long periods of time. This attribute can be of great value if imparted to teaching material. Some game design strategies are outlined, together with an overview of the tools that teachers will need to learn in order to develop such games.
KeywordsGames Education Gamification Edutainment Intelligence
The authors wish to acknowledge the financial support of the General Studies Department, Arts and Science Program, Petroleum Institute, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- 1.Maersk Drilling Simulator website: URL http://www.maerskdrilling.com/en/about-us/drilling-simulator.
- 2.H. Gardner. 1983. Frames of mind: The theory of multiple intelligences, Basic Books. ISBN 0133306143.Google Scholar
- 3.B. Tracy. 1986. 10 keys to personal power, YouTube URL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFoUOafvFNY.
- 4.B. Tracy, Accelerated learning techniques (Audio tape), Nightingale-Conant; USA, 1996 (ISBN-10: 0671536842, ISBN-13: 978-0671536848)Google Scholar
- 5.Kiyosaki, R.T. 2013. Why A students work for C students and B students work for the government. USA: Plata. ISBN 978-1-61268-076-7.Google Scholar
- 6.Moon lander and other simple simulations. URL http://www.jollies.com.
- 7.Car Mechanic Simulator: URL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr0mcRpYhSc.
- 8.Scrap Mechanic website, URL http://www.scrapmechanic.com.
- 9.Unreal Engine 4, URL www.unrealengine.com.
- 10.Unity 3D website, URL https://unity3d.com.
- 11.GameGuru, AGK (AppGameKit) & Dark Basic website, URL www.thegamecreators.com.
- 12.Amy Jo Kim, Smart gamification: Seven core concepts for creating compelling experiences. URL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4YP-hGZTuA.
- 13.Robert Torres—Transforming Education with Gamification, URL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_okPIMyv9c.
- 14.Sebastian Deterding, Meaningful play: Getting gamification right, Google Tech Talk, January 24, 2011: URL accessed June 30, 2015. URL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZGCPap7GkY.
- 15.K.M. Kapp. 2012. The gamification of learning and instruction: Game-based methods and strategies for training and education, USA: Pfeiffer, ISBN-13: 978-1118096345, ISBN-10: 1118096347.Google Scholar
- 16.K.M. Kapp, L. Blair., and R. Mesch. 2013. The gamification of learning and instruction fieldbook: Ideas into practice, USA: Pfeiffer. ISBN-13: 978-1118674437, ISBN-10: 111867443X.Google Scholar
- 17.B. Burke. 2014. Gamify: How gamification motivates people to do extraordinary things, Bibliomotion, ISBN-10: 1937134857, ISBN-13: 978-1937134853.Google Scholar
- 18.L. Sheldon. 2011. The multiplayer classroom: Designing coursework as a game, Cengage Learning PTR, 1st ed. ISBN-10: 1435458443, ISBN-13: 978-1435458444.Google Scholar