Managing Supplier Financial Risk with Pre-shipment Finance Instruments
In this chapter, we present a stylized model for managing supplier financial distress risk by two pre-shipment finance instruments: advance payment discount (APD) and buyer-backed purchase order finance (BPOF). We analyze the mechanisms of APD and BPOF, respectively. Next, we characterize the equilibria between APD and BPOF in both single-financing and dual-financing schemes. Moreover, we show numerically the effects of demand variability and the retailer’s internal capital level on the financing equilibrium and supply chain efficiency. We conclude with a brief summary and directions for future research.
- Gold, M., & Jacobs, G. (2007). Analysis of the potential for development of SME buyer-backed purchase order financing products. United States Agency for International Development. URL: http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/Pnadm257.pdf Retrieved on September 24, 2013.
- Marr, K. (2009). Auto suppliers seek help in wake of Chrysler, GM woes. Washington Post. May 14, 2009. URL: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/13/AR2009051303382.html. Retrieved on October 10, 2013.
- Martin, A. (2010). The places they go when banks say no. The New York Times. January 30, 2010. URL: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/31/business/smallbusiness/31order.html. Retrieved on December 7, 2013.
- Navas-Alemán, L., Pietrobelli, C., & Kamiya, M. (2012). Inter-firm linkages and finance in value chains. Working paper, Inter-American Development Bank.Google Scholar
- Nussel, P., & Sherefkin, R. (2008). Plastech bankruptcy could shut all of Chrysler. Automotive News. URL: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080204/OEM/302049890. Retrieved on October 2, 2013.
- PurchaseOrderFinancing.com. (2016). PO financing rates made affordable. Informative Reactions, July 16, 2016. URL: http://dustyannex298.wikidot.com/blog:7. Retrieved on November 24, 2016.
- Tice, C. (2010). Can a purchase order loan keep your business growing? June 17, 2010. URL: http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/207058. Retrieved on December 8, 2013.
- United States Agency for International Development [USAID]. (2011a). Case studies in buyer-backed purchase order financing. Crimson Capital Corp.Google Scholar
- United States Agency for International Development [USAID]. (2011b). Launching buyer-backed purchase order financing in east Africa. Crimson Capital Corp.Google Scholar