Nature-Inspired Radar Charts as an Innovative Big Data Analysis Tool
- 1.2k Downloads
A radar chart is a known graphical method for displaying multivariate data in the form of a two-dimensional chart. This type of graphical representation has been used for the visualization of large amounts of data over a given time period . In healthcare, each year there are more and more tracked data. It is expected that by 2030, with the rapid evolution of the Internet of things, the vision of a Quantified Self or lifelogging  can become a reality with zettabytes and even yottabytes of data regarding personal health information potentially available.
We propose a multivariate and dynamic data representation model for the visualization of large amounts of healthcare data, both historical and real time. This will allow for population monitoring (e.g. outbreak detection) and for personalized health applications (self-help, personal health check-up). Due to increased life expectancy and an ageing population, a general view and understanding of people health is becoming more and more a necessity to help reduce expenditure in healthcare.
KeywordsBig Data Radar charts Virtual reality Healthcare Social care Population monitoring Epidemiology
- 1.Climate spirals. Climate Lab Book – Open climate science. http://www.climate-lab-book.ac.uk/files/2016/05/spiral_optimized.gif. Last accessed 27 Mar 2017.
- 2.Saary, M. J. (2008, April). Radar plots: A useful way for presenting multivariate health care data. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 61(4):311–317. ISSN 0895–4356, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2007.04.021. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0895435607003320 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Li, X., Hong, W., Wang, J., Song, J., & Kang, J. (2006). Research on the radar chart theory applied to the indoor environmental comfort level evaluation. 6th World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation, Dalian, pp. 5214–5217. https://doi.org/10.1109/WCICA.2006.1713386.
- 4.Ali, S. M., Gupta, N., K. Nayak, G., & Lenka, R. K. (2016). Big Data visualization: Tools and challenges. 2nd International Conference on Contemporary Computing and Informatics (IC3I), Noida, pp. 656–660. https://doi.org/10.1109/IC3I.2016.7918044.
- 6.Tavel, P. (2007). Modeling and simulation design. Natick: AK Peters Ltd.Google Scholar
- 9.Intel IT Center. (2013, March). Big Data visualization: Turning Big Data into big insights. White Paper, pp.1–14.Google Scholar
- 10.FeelReal. http://feelreal.com/#. Last accessed 14 Dec 2017.
- 11.Cook, J. The power of thick data. Big Fish Communications. http://bigfishpr.com/the-power-of-thick-data/. Last accessed 02 Sept 2017.
- 14.Olshannikova, E., Ometov, A., Koucheryavy, Y., & Olsson, T. (2015). Visualizing Big Data with augmented and virtual reality: challenges and research agenda. Journal of Big Data, 2(22).Google Scholar
- 15.Amazon Web services. https://aws.amazon.com. Last accessed 02 Sept 2017.
- 16.Power BI. https://powerbi.microsoft.com. Last accessed 02 Sept 2017.