Evaluating the Efficiency of Higher Secondary Education State Boards in India: A DEA-ANN Approach
This study proposes the integration of two nonparametric methodologies - Data Envelopment Analysis and Artificial Neural Network for efficiency evaluation. The paper initially outlines the research work conducted in the education sector using DEA and ANN. Furthermore, the case study for the paper is conducted on various State Boards (which are used as DMU’s) in Indian Higher Secondary Education System for efficiency evaluation using DEA which is integrated with soft computing technique ANN in order to increase discriminatory power, ranking and future prediction. The above two methods are compared on their practical use as a performance measurement tool on a set of Indian State Boards in Indian Higher Secondary Education System with multiple inputs and outputs criteria. The results demonstrate that ANN-DEA Integration optimizes the performance and increases the discriminatory power and ranking of the decision making units.
KeywordsData Envelopment Analysis Artificial Neural Network Indian Higher Secondary Education
- 4.Afonso, A., St Aubyn, M.: Non-parametric approaches to education and health efficiency in OECD countries. J. Appl. Econ. 8(2), 227–246 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Agasisti, T.: The efficiency of Italian secondary schools and the potential role of competition: a data envelopment analysis using OECD-PISA2006 data. Educ., Econ. Taylor Francis J. 21(5), 520–544 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Selim, S., Bursalıoğlu, S.A.: Efficiency of higher education in turkey: a bootstrapped two-stage DEA approach. Int. J. Stat. Appl. 5(2), 55–67 (2015)Google Scholar
- 15.Oladokun, V.O., Adebanjo, A.T., Charles-Owaba, O.E.: Predicting students’ academic performance using artificial neural network: a case study of an engineering course. Pac. J. Sci. Technol. 9(1), 72–79 (2008)Google Scholar
- 18.Chhachhiya, D., Sharma, A., Gupta, M.: Designing optimal architecture of neural network with particle swarm optimization techniques specifically for educational dataset. In: 7th International Conference on Cloud Computing, Data Science & Engineering-Confluence, pp 52–57. IEEE, Noida (2017)Google Scholar