Designing Compound MAPE Patterns for Self-adaptive Systems
Self-adaptive systems are able to change their own behavior whenever the software or hardware is not accomplishing what it was intended to do. In this context, the MAPE (Monitoring, Analysis, Planning, Execution) control loop model has been identified as crucial element for realizing self-adaptation in software systems. Complex self-adaptive systems often exhibit several architectural patterns in their design which leads to the need of architectural pattern composition. In this paper, we focus on modeling and composing MAPE patterns for decentralized control in self-adaptive systems. We illustrate our approach using a case study example of the fall-detection ambient assisting living system for elderly people.
- 1.Hachicha, M., Dammak, E., Halima, R.B., Kacem, A.H.: A correct by construction approach for modeling and formalizing self-adaptive systems. In: 2016 17th IEEE/ACIS International Conference on Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Networking and Parallel/Distributed Computing (SNPD), pp. 379–384, May 2016Google Scholar
- 2.Hachicha, M., Halima, R.B., Kacem, A.H.: Modeling, specifying and verifying self-adaptive systems instantiating MAPE patterns. Int. J. Comput. Appl. Technol., 57 (2018, to appear)Google Scholar
- 4.That, M.T.T., Sadou, S., Oquendo, F., Borne, I.: Composition-centered architectural pattern description language. In: Proceedings of the 7th European Conference on Software Architecture, ECSA 2013, pp. 1–16. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Tounsi, I., Kacem, M.H., Kacem, A.H., Drira, K.: An approach for SOA design patterns composition. In: 2015 IEEE 8th International Conference on Service-Oriented Computing and Applications (SOCA), pp. 219–226, October 2015Google Scholar
- 6.Weyns, D., Schmerl, B., Grassi, V., Malek, S., Mirandola, R., Prehofer, C., Wuttke, J., Andersson, J., Giese, H., Goschka, K.M.: On patterns for decentralized control in self-adaptive systems. In: Software Engineering for Self-adaptive Systems II: International Seminar, Dagstuhl Castle, Germany, Revised Selected and Invited Papers, 24–29 October 2010, pp. 76–107. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Zimmer, W.: Relationships between design patterns. In: Pattern Languages of Program Design, pp. 345–364. ACM Press/Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., New York (1995). http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=218662.218687