Parameter Inference for Stochastic Differential Equations with Density Tracking by Quadrature
We derive and experimentally test an algorithm for maximum likelihood estimation of parameters in stochastic differential equations (SDEs). Our innovation is to efficiently compute the transition densities that form the log likelihood and its gradient, and to then couple these computations with quasi-Newton optimization methods to obtain maximum likelihood estimates. We compute transition densities by applying quadrature to the Chapman–Kolmogorov equation associated with a time discretization of the original SDE. To study the properties of our algorithm, we run a series of tests involving both linear and nonlinear SDE. We show that our algorithm is capable of accurate inference, and that its performance depends in a logical way on problem and algorithm parameters.
KeywordsStochastic differential equations Parameter inference Maximum likelihood estimation
This work was partly supported by a grant from the Committee on Research at UC Merced.
- 3.Bhat, H.S., Madushani, R.W.M.A.: Density tracking by quadrature for stochastic differential equations (2016). https://arxiv.org/abs/1610.09572. Accessed 22 July 2017
- 4.Bhat, H.S., Madushani, R.W.M.A.: Nonparametric adjoint-based inference for stochastic differential equations. In: 2016 IEEE International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics (DSAA), pp. 798–807 (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Bhat, H.S., Madushani, R.W.M.A., Rawat, S.: Rdtq: density tracking by quadrature (2016). http://cran.r-project.org/package=Rdtq. Accessed 22 July 2017 (R package version 0.1)
- 6.Bhat, H.S., Madushani, R.W.M.A., Rawat, S.: Scalable SDE filtering and inference with Apache Spark. Proc. Mach. Learn. Res. 53, 18–34 (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.Bhat, H.S., Madushani, R.W.M.A., Rawat, S.: Bayesian inference of stochastic pursuit models from basketball tracking data. In: Bayesian Statistics in Action: BAYSM 2016, Florence, Italy, June 19–21, pp. 127–137. Springer, Berlin (2017)Google Scholar
- 8.Bhattacharya, R.N., Waymire, E.C.: Stochastic Processes with Applications. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), Philadelphia (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Iacus, S.M.: Simulation and Inference for Stochastic Differential Equations: With R Examples. Springer Series in Statistics. Springer, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Johnson, S.G.: The NLopt nonlinear-optimization package (2016). http://ab-initio.mit.edu/nlopt. Accessed 22 July 2017
- 15.Santa-Clara, P.: Simulated likelihood estimation of diffusions with an application to the short term interest rate. Working Paper 12-97, UCLA Anderson School of Management (1997)Google Scholar
- 18.Ypma, J.: NLoptr: R interface to NLopt (2014). http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/nloptr/. Accessed 22 July 2017