Routing Protocol with Minimized Load Distribution for UASNs
Underwater Acoustic Sensor Networks (UASNs) have gained interest of many researches due to its challenges like long propagation delay, high bit error rate, limited battery power and bandwidth. Node mobility and the uneven load distribution of sensor nodes results in creation of void holes in UASNs. Avoiding void holes benefits better coverage over an area, less energy consumption and high throughput. Therefore, in our proposed scheme, the sleep awake scheduling of corona nodes is done in order to minimize the data traffic load as well as balance the energy consumption in each corona. After network initialization, nodes in the even numbered coronas are set to sleep mode whereas nodes in odd coronas are in active mode. When the nodes in a corona deplete certain amount of energy, the nodes in sleep mode are switched to active operation mode. Thus, by scheduling data traffic load on each corona node is minimized also the energy of corona nodes is balanced. Simulation results verify the effectiveness of our proposed scheme in terms of traffic load distribution and energy consumption in sparse network.
KeywordsUnderwater wireless sensor networks Load balancing Energy consumption
- 1.Cao, J., Dou, J., Dong, S.: Balance transmission mechanism in underwater acoustic sensor networks. Int. J. Distrib. Sens. Netw. 11(3), 429340 (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Majid, A., Azam, I., Khan, T., Khan, Z.A., Qasim, U., Javaid, N.: A reliable and interference-aware routing protocol for underwater wireless sensor networks. In: 2016 10th International Conference on Complex, Intelligent, and Software Intensive Systems (CISIS), pp. 246–255. IEEE, July 2016Google Scholar
- 8.Azam, I., Javaid, N., Ahmad, A., Wadood, A., Almogren, A., Alamri, A.: Balanced Load Distribution with Energy Hole Avoidance in Underwater WSNs. IEEE Access (2017)Google Scholar
- 9.Wahid, A., Lee, S., Jeong, H.J., Kim, D.: EEDBR: energy-efficient depth-based routing protocol for underwater wireless sensor networks. In: Advanced Computer Science and Information Technology, pp. 223–234 (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Khizar, M., Wahid, A., Pervaiz, K., Sajid, M., Qasim, U., Khan, Z.A., Javaid, N.: Enhanced energy efficient depth based routing protocol for underwater WSNs. In: 2016 10th International Conference on Innovative Mobile and Internet Services in Ubiquitous Computing (IMIS), pp. 70–77. IEEE, July 2016Google Scholar