Engaging Forecast Users During the Year of Polar Prediction
Triggered by global climate change, the rapidly changing polar environments increasingly capture public awareness. In the north, Arctic sea-ice opening comes with many opportunities for economic development, transport and tourism but also bears substantial changes and high risks for humans and nature.
The contents of this article have significantly benefited from discussions and collaboration with the PPP-SERA group. In particular, we thank the PPP-SERA co-chairs Daniela Liggett, Jackie Dawson, and Machiel Lamers who provided very helpful comments to an earlier version of this article.
- Goessling, H., Jung, T., Klebe, S., Baeseman, J., Bauer, P., Chen, P., Chevallier, M., Dole, R., Gordon, N., Ruti, P. et al. (2016). Paving the way for the year of polar prediction. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society (BAMS), ES85–ES88. http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-15-00270.1.
- Hoke, W., Liggett, D., Dawson, J., Lamers, M., Werner, K. (2016). Understanding user needs to improve weather and environmental forecasts in the polar regions. Northern Notes, (46). A newsletter published by the International Arctic Social Sciences Association. http://iassa.org/images/newsletters/Northern-Notes-Issue-46-Autumn-Winter-2016.pdf. Accessed 14 Dec 2016.
- PPP-SERA. (2017). Navigating weather, water, ice and climate information for safe polar mobilities. WWRP/PPP No. 5–2017, World Meteorological Organization, Geneva, Switzerland. http://www.polarprediction.net/fileadmin/user_upload/www.polarprediction.net/Home/Organization/Task_Teams/PPP-SERA/WWRP_PPP_No_5_2017_11_OCT.pdf. Accessed 14 Feb 2018.
- PPP-SG and co-authors (2013). WWRP Polar Prediction Project Implementation Plan. WWRP/PPP No. 2–2013, World Meteorological Organization, Geneva, Switzerland. http://www.polarprediction.net/fileadmin/user_upload/www.polarprediction.net/Home/Documents/WWRP-PPP_IP_Final_12Jan2013_v1_2.pdf. Accessed 14 Dec 2016.
- PPP-SG and co-authors (2016). WWRP Polar Prediction Project Implementation Plan for the Year of Polar Prediction (YOPP), Version 2.0, WWRP/PPP No. 4–2016, World Meteorological Organization, Geneva, Switzerland. http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/arep/wwrp/new/documents/FINAL_WWRP_PPP_YOPP_Plan_28_July_web.pdf. Accessed 14 Dec 2016.
- Thoman, R., Dawson, J., Liggett, D., Lamers, M., Stewart, E., Ljubicic, G., et al. (2016). Second Polar Prediction Project (PPP) Societal and Economic Research and Applications (SERA) meeting focused on end user use of weather and climate information. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society (BAMS). https://doi.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-16-0195.1.CrossRefGoogle Scholar