The Anthropocene—What Does It Entail for Science?
Science permeates almost every aspect of modern life, sometimes in obvious and sometimes less obvious ways. Societies largely trust and expect science to inform debate, advance the standard of living and solve problems as they emerge. The Paris Climate Agreement (UN 2016) is an epitome of this Zeitgeist as policy makers, distinguished members acting as an extension of society, demonstrated their trust in the consensus of the scientific community and shaped future policies to tackle the predicted effects of climate change accordingly.
- Hamilton, C., Gemenne, F., & Bonneuil, C. (2015). The Anthropocene and the global environmental crisis. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- HGF. (2016). Wissenstransfer in der Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft-Konzept zur strategischen Weiterentwicklung und Stärkung. 19 pp. Retrieved September 21, 2017, from https://www.helmholtz.de/fileadmin/user_upload/01_forschung/Technologietransfer/Wissenstransfer/AG_Wissenstransfer_Ergebnispapier_Dez_2016_Layout.pdf..
- HGF. (2017). Mission Statement of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres. Retrieved September 21, 2017, from https://www.helmholtz.de/en/about_us/the_association/mission/.
- IGBP (International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme). (2015). Planetary dashboard shows Great Acceleration in human activity since 1950. Press release, January 15. Retrieved August 24, 2017, from http://www.igbp.net/news/pressreleases/pressreleases/planetarydashboardshowsgreataccelerationinhumanactivitysince1950.5.950c2fa1495db7081eb42.html.
- Kates, R. W., Clark, W. C. Corell, R., Hall, M., Jaeger, C. et al. (2001): Sustainability science. Research and assessment systems for sustainability program. Discussion Paper 2000–2033. Cambridge, MA: Environment and Natural Resources Program, Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University.Google Scholar
- UN (United Nations). (2015). 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Retrieved October 23, 2017, from http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/development-agenda/.
- UN (United Nations). (2016). Paris Climate Agreement. http://unfccc.int/paris_agreement/items/9485.php. Retrieved October 23, 2017.