Fog and Cloud in the Transportation, Marine and eHealth Domains
Amazing things have been achieved in a wide range of application domains by exploiting a multitude of small connected devices, defined as the Internet of Things. Managing of these devices and their resources is a task for the underlying Fog technology that enables building of smart and efficient applications. Currently, the Fog is not implemented to the extent that we can submit application requirements to a Fog provider, select returned resources and deploy an application on them. A widely adopted workaround is to deploy Cloud applications that exploit the functionality of IoT and Fog devices. Although Clouds provide virtually unlimited computation power, they could present a bottleneck and unnecessary communication overhead when a huge number of devices needs to be controlled, read or written to. Therefore, it is reasonable to formulate use cases that will exploit the Edge and Fog functionality and define a set of basic requirements for Fog providers.
KeywordsCloud computing Fog Edge Internet of Things Fog to cloud
This work is supported by the European Union through the Horizon 2020 research and innovation program under grants 730929 (mF2C), 636220 (TIMON) and 687283 (Inter-IoT). AALHP is co-financed by the Republic of Slovenia and the European Union from the European Regional Development Fund.
- 2.IoT-epi. http://iot-epi.eu/projects/
- 3.ManageIQ. http://www.manageiq.org/
- 4.OpenStack. http://www.openstack.org/
- 6.Yi, S., Li, C., Li, Q.: A survey of fog computing: concepts, applications and issues. In: Proceedings of the 2015 Workshop on Mobile Big Data (Mobidata 2015), pp. 37–42. ACM, New York (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Open Fog consortium. https://www.openfogconsortium.org/ra/
- 10.Sentinel. http://www.sentinel.hr
- 11.TIMON. http://www.timon-project.eu
- 12.INTER-IoT. http://www.inter-iot-project.eu/
- 13.FIWARE. https://www.fiware.org/
- 15.universAAL. http://www.universaal.info/
- 16.EMMY - Library for zero-knowledge proofs. https://github.com/xlab-si/emmy