Cross and Christ: Faithfulness and Effectiveness in Leadership
Ethical leadership is strengthened when we see Jesus as the model human, holding two contrasting visions in place. First, Jesus occupies the authority of Son of Man, modeling true humanity against the beastly visions of leadership and authority (Daniel 7). Second, Jesus occupies the position of the Suffering Servant, modeling true humanity when power cannot be used faithfully (Isaiah 52–53; Mark 10:34–35). Ethical leadership involves a paradoxical blend of strength for justice and willingness to suffer against injustice.
- Allen, Diogenes. 1998. “Jesus as Lord, Jesus as Servant.” Christian Century 115 (9): 295–300. http://www.religion-online.org/article/jesus-as-lord-jesus-as-servant/.
- Bauckham, Richard. 2006. Jesus and the Eyewitnesses: The Gospels and the Eyewitness Testimony. Grand Rapids, MI: W.B. Eerdmans.Google Scholar
- Bekker, Corne J. 2006. “The Philippians Hymn (2:5–11) as an Early Mimetic Christological Model of Christian Leadership in Roman Philippi.” Servant Leadership Roundtable. Accessed https://www.regent.edu/acad/global/publications/sl_proceedings/2006/bekker.pdf.
- Collins, James J. 1979. “Introduction: Towards the Morphology of a Genre.” In Semeia 14, edited by James J. Collins, 1–20. Missoula, MT: Society of Biblical Literature.Google Scholar
- Crouch, Andy. 2008. Culture Making: Recovering Our Creative Calling. Downer’s Grove, IL: IVP.Google Scholar
- Crouch, Andy. 2016. Strong and Weak: Embracing a Life of Love, Risk, and True Flourishing. Downers Grove, IL: IVP.Google Scholar
- Dunn, James D.G. 1989. Christology in the Making: A New Testament Inquiry into the Origins of the Doctrine of the Incarnation, 2nd edition. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans.Google Scholar
- Harrisville, Roy A. 2006. Fracture: The Cross as Irreconcilable in the Language and Thought of the Biblical Writers. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans.Google Scholar
- Heifetz, Ronald. 1994. Leadership Without Easy Answers. Cambridge, MA: Belnap Press of Harvard University.Google Scholar
- Holmes, Christopher R.J. 2007. Ethics in the Presence of Christ. New York, NY: T&T Clark.Google Scholar
- Huizing, Russell. 2011. “Bringing Christ to the Table of Leadership: Moving Towards a Theology of Leadership.” Journal of Applied Christian Leadership 5 (2): 58–75. https://digitalcommons.andrews.edu/jacl/vol5/iss2/5.
- Malina, Bruce. 2001. The New Testament World: Insights from Cultural Anthropology, 3rd edition. Lousiville, KY: John Knox Press.Google Scholar
- Migliore, Dan. 2014. Faith Seeking Understanding: An Introduction to Christian Theology, 3rd edition. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans.Google Scholar
- Niewold, Jack. 2007. “Beyond Servant Leadership.” Journal of Biblical Perspectives on Leadership 1 (2): 118–134.Google Scholar
- O’Donovan, Oliver. 1994. Resurrection and Moral Order: An Outline for Evangelical Ethics. Grand Rapids, MI: IVP.Google Scholar
- O’Donovan, Oliver. 1999. Desire of the Nations: Rediscovering the Roots of Political Theology. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- O’Donovan, Oliver. 2014. Finding and Seeking: Ethics as Theology, Volume 2. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans.Google Scholar
- Power, Dermot. 1998. A Spiritual Theology of the Priesthood: The Mystery of Christ and the Mission of the Priest. Washington, DC: Catholic University of America Press.Google Scholar
- Rutledge, Fleming. 2015. The Crucifixion: Understanding the Death of Jesus Christ. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans.Google Scholar
- Schmiechen, Peter. 2005. Saving Power: Theories of Atonement and Forms of the Church. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans.Google Scholar
- Shamir, Boas, and Eilam Galit. 2005. “What’s Your Story? A Life-stories Approach to Authentic Leadership Development.” Leadership Quarterly 16 (3): 395–417. www.sciencedirect.com.
- Shaw, Perry W.H. 2006. “Vulnerable Authority: A Theological Approach to Leadership and Teamwork.” Christian Education Journal 3 (1): 119–133.Google Scholar
- Smith, David. 2007. Mark: A Commentary for Bible Students. Indianapolis, IN: Wesleyan Publishing House.Google Scholar
- Smith, Gordon T. 2017. Institutional Intelligence: How to Build an Effective Organization. Downers Grove, IL: IVP.Google Scholar
- Witherington III, Ben. 1998. The Many Faces of the Christ: The Christologies of the New Testament and Beyond. New York, NY: Crossroad Publishing.Google Scholar
- Wright, Nicholas T. 2004. John for Everyone: Part 2. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press.Google Scholar